Big lump/swollen spay site 5 days after

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big lump/swollen spay site 5 days after

It's been 5 days since Nika was spayed. She now has a big lump at the surgery site. Could you please take a look at the photos described as 5 days after her spay, here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=dcf989ac60 Is this normal? Or is this a sign of infection or problem?? Thank you

personally..... i would get that looked at :S

Nitro reacted to her sutures as she was allergic to them (blistering/necrosis)... and it never was that swollen or bump like. Don't mean to scare you by saying that!

Most vets give you spay after care free of charge. Nitro was in numerous times and it never cost me a cent
    sigpic
    Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
    Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
    Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

How active has she been? Have you been following the activity guidelines?
      sigpic
      Emily
      Jazz - GD rescued at 5 months (september 27th, 2009)
      Blues - GD rescued at ? grew through 2012 (July 29, 2011)
      Preston - 8 y/o "grumpy old man" yorkie mix

bluesfightscancer.com

Comment

It almost looks like it's herniated....
        sigpic
        Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

The one thing our vet warned us the most about is that often there can be fluid collection at the incision. He knows I panic and just wanted me to know in advance that it happens often. He said it looks like hell, but it normally resolves itself. If that is what is going on with your girl, I don't know. Nor do I remember what he told me to do about it. It didn't happen to Phineas, so I have no comparison. My best guess would be that this is what it is.

I would take her temp and make sure she doesn't have a fever. Put a call into your vet in the morning.
          Last edited by Angel7292; 02-07-2012, 08:31 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

It could be a seroma. If she has been very active, meaning doing anything but on leash walks, no jumping, running etc, seromas are common. If she were mine, I would get it checked regardless.
            sigpicLynn - Ximmy's Mom's Mom - John & Lynsie, skin kids, Faela & Gus skin grandkids,OnzaPous, ReignaPous, Banshee & Kit-ten and now Dare Devil and Fuzzy Butt the cats, and of course......Ximmy Ximmy Xoom Xoom and [COLOR=red]Sprocket (aka Sprockey Wocky Puppy Pants) and Sibanca our newest Dane rescue

Comment

Originally posted by isdapous View Post
              It could be a seroma. If she has been very active, meaning doing anything but on leash walks, no jumping, running etc, seromas are common. If she were mine, I would get it checked regardless.
              That's the word! Seroma... that is what my vet said often happens.

I agree... a call in the AM to the vet is warranted.
              sigpic

Comment

Thank you guys so much.

I have been keeping her inactive the same way I did for the last month after her heartworm treatment. She's been sequestered in a separate room, most of the time. She's spent some time out in the living room with me, but with her laying down. I've taken her out to potty on leash, so there's been no strenuous play.

Leaving the vet, she was very drugged, still and she tried to jump up into the car, and she was only able to get her front half up, and then, thump, her abdomen hit the car and she couldn't get up the rest of the way without help. I helped her up and asked the woman from the rescue who was the vet's assistant (the only person from the vet's office that came to the front desk to talk to me at all) to come out to the car and look at her incision to see if it was still ok. She wasn't concerned and said it was fine. But she did hit that part of her body on the car...there was considerable weight on it. She's 100 lbs, so at least half of that was probably pushing her incision area down on the car.

And yesterday, she almost fell down the stairs, but I was walking next to her, and I leaned on her and held her up, gave her a moment to quit shaking, and then she walked down the stairs successfully. So she had a stressful incident yesterday.

I've emailed those photos to the vet that did her spay, and left them a message asking them to call me back after they see the photos. The vet is the one through the rescue about 2 hours drive away. So you guys think it's ok to wait through the night? Like no need for a trip to an ER Vet?

I don't have a thermometer than can be used with a dog. Should I run out tonight and go get one to take her temp?

Comment

Daisy had the same thing exactly, she had 2 incisions, one for pex, and one for spay, they where both raised up when he took her stitches out. The largest raised point was at her belly button. And it felt hard not mushy. The vet said that it would go down over time and it was nothing to be concerned about, he said there are 3 more layers of stitches inside and as those desolved we would see improvement. She had her surgery on Jan 16 and she still has some raised area, it looks 90% better though. She has never acted like she thought anything happened to her. Hope your girl is OK.
                  sigpic

2 adults 39 yrs., 1 teen 14 yrs., 1 boxer-Copper Brown 7 1/2 yrs. old, and 1 Dane-Daisy Mae 2years old

Comment

you can have your own vet take a look at it, since it is so far to the one who did the spay. I really think it is a seroma, but it surely never hurts to have your vet take a quick peek.
                    Also, buy a dog thermometer and keep it handy. I use ours all the time. Temp is often the first or second indicator something is wrong. My motto is....if anything looks even a bit wonky, take the temp first!
                    sigpicLynn - Ximmy's Mom's Mom - John & Lynsie, skin kids, Faela & Gus skin grandkids,OnzaPous, ReignaPous, Banshee & Kit-ten and now Dare Devil and Fuzzy Butt the cats, and of course......Ximmy Ximmy Xoom Xoom and [COLOR=red]Sprocket (aka Sprockey Wocky Puppy Pants) and Sibanca our newest Dane rescue

Comment

Well someone from that vet's office called me back. Turns out the only reason they didn't give us a prescription for pain after the spay, is because the rescue wouldn't pay for it. I wish they would have told me that! I would have paid for it!

Then the vet that did the spay emailed back, and just said it looks like a seroma from too much activity.

That vet didn't even bother to talk to me before or after the spay, or send me home with as much as a piece of paper as a guide. Anyway, she only suggested a hot compress. The woman I talked to on the phone, however said that she probably is in more pain now (which I can tell) because the seroma is pushing on things, and could likely use a pain prescription, but that another vet might give me pain meds and antibiotics (that would be best, I think). Coda's vet has been more attentive and taken the time to talk to me about everything with Coda.
                      So I had them fax over her records to Coda's vet.

And I can't believe I forgot to say--- like 3 days ago, I found her blanket had a stain... it looked like she'd gotten her period over night or something. I couldn't locate any blood stain on her body. There was nothing around her incision. I couldn't identify the source. This morning, I found she'd had an accident, and there was a tiny spec of brownish blood colored mucous stuff in her pee. Also she has not been eating like normal since. She ate almost nothing for 2 days. And just now she's back up to 1/2 - 3/4 of what she used to eat. She was drinking way too little water, but is now drinking more, in the last couple days. I assumed it was because of this, but her poop hadn't returned to quite normal either.

I took Nika to our regular vet today. She is very attentive. She gave Nika some antibiotics and anti-inflamatory meds, and wants to check back in next week. She said she can feel the body wall under (or above) the lump, but can't tell if the other sutures inside are still in tact. (It looks worse today than it did last night when I took those pictures.) She talked about if it doesn't get better in a week, maybe putting her under and going in. I feel much better that she is in good hands now.

Thank you guys so much for all your help and sharing your experience.

Comment

WOW... I'd be talking to the rescue about the vet they're using:S

It's great that s/he is giving them a discount but it sounds like the care is kind of ... "meh"

Sorry to hear you're having such problems post spay! Good on you for going to someone else to get her the care you know Nika deserves!
                        Last edited by TMedic37; 02-08-2012, 06:01 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Glad you took her to your normal vet! Hope the meds take care of the problem.
                          sigpic Brenda
                          RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
                          Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

I'm really glad you took her to your vet! The pain meds and anti-inflammatories will make her feel much better, so be sure to keep her activity level on the low side for a few weeks yet.
                            Don't forget to pick up that thermometer.

Comment

Originally posted by TMedic37 View Post
                              WOW... I'd be talking to the rescue about the vet they're using:S

It's great that s/he is giving them a discount but it sounds like the care is kind of ... "meh"

Sorry to hear you're having such problems post spay! Good on you for going to someone else to get her the care you know Nika deserves!
                              Yea, I thought about that, but I'm really not sure if I should. The woman at the vet's office who was the only person to talk to me before and after her spay, said she was the president of the rescue. (This is a rescue that does cats, and small dogs too.) She's the one who really didn't give me much information, and who told me she didn't need pain meds. I guess she volunteers there at that vet's office... I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X