Completely lost on what to do.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely lost on what to do.....

I had posted a few weeks back that I was going to pick up a new puppy, and wanted advice on the raw feed. Well, turns out, I should've been asking about how to deal with a less than reputable breeder. Our puppy was the runt. I drove 4.5 hours there and back to get him with my 4 years old daughter who named him Gunner. Picked up on the 11th, I took him to the vet on the 12th to make sure he was healthy and get him scheduled for his shots. By the 20th, he was lethargic, puking and wouldn't eat. Again I took him to the vet and they were able to get his energy levels back up and sent him home with me that afternoon. By Thursday the 24th, I took him to a pet hospital and he was gone Friday evening, March 25th. I contacted the breeder before I lost Gunner to let her know he was sick. I wanted to know if the other puppies were doing OK? Every other pup she says is fine. When they told me they would be treating Gunner for Parvo, even after testing negative for the disease, I asked the breeder for a partial refund. After all, I never received a contract, and I was looking at the very least a healthy vet bill, with no promise that he would survive. I was told it was not her responsibility. I'd really like some advice on how to deal with this situation. I can't even type this without crying and I have a 4 year old that has no concept of what happened. All she knows is Gunner is gone, and she wants her boy back. Any word of advice would be appreciated! Other than the obvious -KNOW YOUR BREEDER next time!

So sorry for your loss. That has got to be hard

I am not sure that you will be able to do much other than steer others away from that breeder.

Sorry, not much help but I wish you the best on your adventure with your 4 year old on what I assume will be another Dane. We are here for you guys and glad to help! So sorry

Comment

Thank you so much! I appreciate it...

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear about your puppy and what you are going through. I don't necessarily think this is the breeder's fault. I'm not saying they were reputable, but parvo generally kicks in 3-9 days after exposure. If he started displaying signs 9 days after you got him, he likely contracted it when under your care.

Did you put him down somewhere like a pet store or somewhere other pets frequently eliminate? Take him to any parks? Was he on the floor in the vet's office when you took him on the 12th?

I hate to be the bearer of super bad news, but parvo is very hardy and can survive for up to a year in your back yard if your puppy ever eliminated out there. It is also probably in your carpeting if your puppy ever had an accident. Which means you should not be adding another puppy to your home for at least a year, or you will risk that puppy suffering the same fate.
        sigpic

Comment

So he tested negative for Parvo, but your vet thought it was a false negative? So sorry for your loss - I can't even imagine how tough it must be.
          -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss. I think your going to be up a creek in this situation. It will be your word against the breeder and it sounds like the breeder is just going to cover their own butt. So it will be your word against theirs. They'll say it was healthy when you got it, etc, etc, etc. So you see where it will probably end up. Just spread the word about that breeder so it doesn't happen to someone else.
            sigpic
            Sampson (Brindle Great Dane) 5/15/14

Comment

Originally posted by Matt77 View Post
              I'm sorry for your loss. I think your going to be up a creek in this situation. It will be your word against the breeder and it sounds like the breeder is just going to cover their own butt. So it will be your word against theirs. They'll say it was healthy when you got it, etc, etc, etc. So you see where it will probably end up. Just spread the word about that breeder so it doesn't happen to someone else.
              But it's really not necessarily the breeder's fault. If all of the other puppies are healthy, and the symptoms showed up 9 days after OP picked the puppy up, it was likely contracted after leaving the breeder's house.

Slandering someone for something that isn't their fault isn't very considerate. And in this case, has potential legal repercussions.
              sigpic

Comment

Check the puppy lemon laws in your state. Most states have very good laws that will get at the very least your vet bills covered by the breeder up to the purchase price of the pup.
                sigpic

Comment

Sorry to hear about your puppy, and sorry for your little one too.

If there were no contracts signed, you may not get any of the costs covered.
                  Donna
                  Max (DOB-Apr 28-2013; gotcha date-Aug 23-2013)
                  Dyson (DOB-Sept 9-2013; gotcha date-Mar 8-2014)
                  Willow (DOB-Jan 26-2014; gotcha date-Oct 31-2015)

sigpic

Comment

There isn't enough information to say whose fault it was, really. The pup tested negative for parvo, the breeder says the other pups are healthy but they could be lying, there was no necropsy done for a 100% accurate diagnosis. So, I don't think there is much you can do besides learn a valuable and heartbreaking lesson.
                    ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Working...
                    X