Breeder contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeder contract

Asking this question for a friend. Though, after asking me about it, I am interested to hear thoughts and opinions on this too.

A friend of mine is looking for a Dane (still researching, looking for reputable breeders in and out of the area, etc.) and is no rush to find a puppy. He wants to do things the right way which I am glad to hear.

He found a breeder fairly close-by that does not let people look over their contract unless they know them personally/have met in person or if they come across a puppy from her that they are interested in and it seems like a good, potential match. I thought this was sort of odd, and if it was me in his position, I would want to look over their contract first to see if it would fit my needs and the needs of all involved.

Thoughts and opinions on this? Thanks!

Julie
    Last edited by Mama_Mia; 12-17-2015, 05:42 PM.
    sigpic

Yes, I agree that this sends up warning signs. You need to know up front if the contract is for you. Some breeders want to control everything concerning the puppy. It's your money. Don't sign your life away. I suggest you keep looking.

Comment

That is kind of odd. All the breeders I talked too offered to show me their contract pretty much right away. I think I'd keep looking.
      sigpic
      Chaucey
      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Thanks guys, I knew it sounded strange from the very beginning. I'll let him know. I told him about this forum but he's shy, lol!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mama_Mia View Post
          Thanks guys, I knew it sounded strange from the very beginning. I'll let him know. I told him about this forum but he's shy, lol!
          He can always register and just read threads and not post. There's a ton of great information in the old threads, and a lot of people just lurk and don't post. I spent a lot of time reading old posts before I got my puppy and learned a lot.
          sigpic
          Chaucey
          Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

That would not be weird to me, nor deter me if everything else about the breeder is reputable. Contracts should be very specific and unique to every buyer. As a breeder I get that they would not want to spend time writing one up, though until a breeder talk extensively to the buyer there would not be anything to write at that point.

One more note, byb have been known to ask for contracts just so they can copy them. No intention of honoring them, but they want to look and sound reputable to their potential buyers.

Overall no, this would not phase me at all

Comment

Originally posted by Lizgirl View Post
              That would not be weird to me, nor deter me if everything else about the breeder is reputable. Contracts should be very specific and unique to every buyer. As a breeder I get that they would not want to spend time writing one up, though until a breeder talk extensively to the buyer there would not be anything to write at that point.

One more note, byb have been known to ask for contracts just so they can copy them. No intention of honoring them, but they want to look and sound reputable to their potential buyers.

Overall no, this would not phase me at all
              She had one "standard" contract. Nothing would be unique or customized to buyers. She just did not want to show it. After helping out my friend, we found that she does not show her dogs and the necessary health screenings and checks are not performed (and she went into a long "emotional" explanation as to why she doesn't/can't do this). Saying more may give who it is away, and I know posting or hinting at breeder names is prohibited here. So, the search continues.
              sigpic

Comment

Definite red flags, makes no sense to me why the breeder would be secretive about sharing the contract. I feel discussing contract details is a big part of making sure either a puppy/breeder is a good fit for me or if Im placing a pup, that the family is on board with what is expected.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if there were no contract, she may just be saying there is to maker herself look good.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X