When?? WHEN CAN I GET MY BABY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When?? WHEN CAN I GET MY BABY

Hello all, I have been a member of this forum for like 5 years i think. I have been waiting since I was 16 (31 now) to get my dane due to responsibility. I have refused to take on a responsibility as large (hehe, pun) a dane without taking proper precaution first.

• I was waiting to move out of our apt. We now own a single family home(1700 sq ft, fenced back yard).

• I was/am trying to get a job that can afford all of life's expenses and owning a dane.(I currently make a very sad hourly wage, and of course will not take this plunge without a substantial increase)

• My goal was to have a hefty savings account ready AND at least 3-6 months of pet insurance payments ready to go(yes I am going the insurance route) because you never know when disaster will strike. What if i get him and 2 weeks later something awful happens?! THATS when my safety net would make me breathe easier, lol.

• But then I just recently thought of this: I could get a decent credit limit credit card and dedicate THAT to the emergency fund, so I don't have to save up like, $5k for emergency.
    • There is the initial start up cost, which i can foresee doing. it is still substantial, but do-able. Puppy vs rescuing an adult are completely different dollar amounts(meaning, those are different variables).

These are my concerns. Now, do you think I am being too neurotic to start to get him? I have waited so so so long. Everyone around me is having a baby(don't care, dogs are my babies) or getting a dog(and then i am extremely envious).

What did you guys do before you got your dane? How did you financially prepare?

THANK YOU in advance, I can't take this heartbreak anymore!

I think you're smart to wait until you get a higher paying job. These guys can get expensive I'd make sure you at least have the cost of a well-bred puppy saved up. You could also start buying puppy stuff like a crate and collars and bowls and stuff gradually, so you don't have to get all that at one time. Make sure you either have that savings account or the credit card/Care Credit just in case.

I don't think you're being neurotic, just responsible. I didn't have $5k saved up, but I did have the purchase price, some extra money for all the initial vet visits saved up, and all the puppy stuff bought, and I signed up for insurance right away. Remember that it may take some time for the breeder you choose to have a pup available, so you can always go to shows and look for breeders early. I waited about a year from seriously looking for breeders to actually bringing my puppy home. You'll have that time to save and start collecting puppy stuff too. The waiting is the hardest part, but it will be worth the wait!
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

I agree with the above. Even if you're still a couple years out from actually owning a dog, if you're even thinking of going the breeder route it's not too early to go to shows, find a breeder you like and start building a relationship with him or her. Or you could be seeking the perfect rescue organization to work with, and while you prepare you could always volunteer with them.
      sigpic
      Fergus
      SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
      Eisen Shark
      C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

I think you're doing the right thing in waiting. Danes are an expensive breed. Here's an idea of my monthly necessary costs:

$100 for food per dog (it was more when they were growing)
        $65 for insurance per dog
        $50 in treats/bones

Other things that I've had to purchase that apply to getting both a puppy and an adult dog:

$200 crate
        $50 food bowls/raised feeders
        $100 in grooming supplies (nail clippers, brushes)

Having a decent credit card limit isn't the same as having insurance. You have to pay a credit card company back, including interest. Insurance means you need to pay whatever your percentage is of the vet bills (20% seems to be a common choice) and nothing else.

It seems as though you have your heart set on a Dane, but have you considered a less expensive breed? A Dane isn't a dog that can be easily supported on a low hourly wage. Instead of adding undue stress to yourself by attempting to afford one of the most expensive breeds there is to own, perhaps get something smaller and less costly so that you're not waiting another decade to add a dog to your family?
        Last edited by Hiraeth; 11-06-2016, 05:28 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Personal question? At 31 do you have (human kids) or planning to have a family in the near future? Dane expense is one thing.. throw a couple kids in the loop and your finances will really take a hit. Im 40 and having 2 girls in the house aint cheap. Just something to think about since your right at that age to start a family so taking care of a dane pup may not be feasible.

Lol... just reread your post about kids. Ill leave this post up.. dont say never regarding kids. I know 2 families who said that and they have 2 and 3 kids now hehe
          Last edited by Xerxes; 11-07-2016, 06:41 AM.
          Xerxes Knight GD (April 29 2016 - present)
          Hannibal Knight GD (July 15 2003 - Nov 5 2015)

Comment

We have 3 Danes, (Mister, Guido and ReeferBob) - we own our own home, had monies to make the purchase and got pet insurance right off the bat for each one as they came to us.

Mister was the biggest expense because we bought the giant kennel and acquired all the things you'd want for your pup (leash, collars, toys, treats, dog bed). In my opinion, the first year is the most expensive - special food, Vet appointments, which include neutering, and puppy obedience classes.

Having 3 Danes, all from reputable breeders, pet insurance, food, yearly
            "well child checks" and treats for the big guys is an expense, but after the first year, it seems the expense isn't as daunting.

Do your homework, it's important to get a Dane from a reputable breeder or you may have more expenses than you thought possible.

Comment

Working...
            X