Looking for advice on feeding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice on feeding

Hi I have a 14 week Great Dane Luna. She is fed Fromm large breed puppy and I give her 1 1/2 to 2 cups at 6:30 12:00 and 5:00 ( there about) poops look great but she seems hungry especially in morning. I just read something about NOT following the back of the kibble bag for amounts which I do. She seems pretty healthy but maybe showing some ribs though not much. Afraid of feeding her to much, any thoughts? Should I feed her four times a day I know it seems long time period between five the night before til 6:30 the next morning. Also how long should she get puppy food and I can't find a list of calcium or phosphorous listed which is what I've read I should look for in kibble but the protein is good at 15%? Any thoughts on all this would be great.

What a beautiful name! I have 2 great danes, here is my experience, Althena is 2 this month, and Lucy Lou is 1....we fed both our dogs for a whole year on Diamond Large breed puppy food. I gave them 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups around 4pm-5pm. Althena is more Euro, and filled out quite nicely, Lucy is the skinnier one and boy is she a brat....we just found that out on a forum I listed for help on her feeding habits, she all of a sudden refused to eat her adult large breed dog food, Diamond we were giving her. I got some advice on 4Health large breed dog wet and dry food only sold at TSC stores. We went grain free also. So far we are on our first week of mixing 1/2 can wet with 2 scoops dry 7-8am then again 4-5pm and they are doing marvelously! (We also got grain free coat and hip and joint biscuits for treats). I usually give a biscuit when I leave for work in the morning, they get each one off and on). Seems their is less backyard pick up too! Hope this helps!

Originally posted by Luna1 View Post
    Hi I have a 14 week Great Dane Luna. She is fed Fromm large breed puppy and I give her 1 1/2 to 2 cups at 6:30 12:00 and 5:00 ( there about) poops look great but she seems hungry especially in morning. I just read something about NOT following the back of the kibble bag for amounts which I do. She seems pretty healthy but maybe showing some ribs though not much. Afraid of feeding her to much, any thoughts? Should I feed her four times a day I know it seems long time period between five the night before til 6:30 the next morning. Also how long should she get puppy food and I can't find a list of calcium or phosphorous listed which is what I've read I should look for in kibble but the protein is good at 15%? Any thoughts on all this would be great.
    sigpic

Comment

Hi I have a 14 week Great Dane Luna. She is fed Fromm large breed puppy and I give her 1 1/2 to 2 cups at 6:30 12:00 and 5:00 ( there about) poops look great but she seems hungry especially in morning. I just read something about NOT following the back of the kibble bag for amounts which I do. She seems pretty healthy but maybe showing some ribs though not much. Afraid of feedingt her to much, any thoughts? Should I feed her four times a day I know it seems long time period between five the night before til 6:30 the next morning. Also how long should she get puppy food and I can't find a list of calcium or phosphorous listed which is what I've read I should look for in kibble but the protein is good at 15%? Any thoughts on all this would be great.
      If you're feeding this one in the blue bag, https://frommfamily.com/products/gol...ical-analysis/, the calcium and phosphorus are listed on the product page under technical analysis. Levels look fine though. I think the general rule is puppy food until 1 year.

To decide on the amount to feed her you should judge by body condition. You should be able to see the last 2-3 ribs. If she's hungry in the morning, you could always spread out her meals a bit more through the day, or just make dinner a little later.
      sigpic
      Fergus
      SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
      Eisen Shark
      C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

At about that age we began feeding Moose before bed as well. He was having a hard time sleeping through the night, was ravenous each morning and would stand at the food bowl when I let him out to potty about 3 am. I still fed the same amount of food per day just divided it into 4 meals rather than 3.

Sara-- Moose's Mom

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
          If you're feeding this one in the blue bag, https://frommfamily.com/products/gol...ical-analysis/, the calcium and phosphorus are listed on the product page under technical analysis. Levels look fine though. I think the general rule is puppy food until 1 year.

To decide on the amount to feed her you should judge by body condition. You should be able to see the last 2-3 ribs. If she's hungry in the morning, you could always spread out her meals a bit more through the day, or just make dinner a little later.
          Fromm recommends the Large Breed Puppy until the growth plates close which they claim for giant breeds is 17 to 24 months.

Comment

The protein is 26% not 15% and that's fine.
            I see no reason to feed 4 times a day. Maybe try feeding the pm meal at 6 rather than 5.

Comment

Can't get dane on a good schedule

We have a 5 month old, male Dane who doesn't seem to want to eat at any particular time in a day. Sometimes he wakes up hungry and eats 2.5 cups, other times he won't eat until late morning which will mess with his dinner time that could range between 530p and 800p where he eats another 2.5 cups...and that's if we are lucky. I tried mixing about 1/4 cup chicken in his food to encourage eating and that typically helps but I'm not sure if that's ok to do. We also started Puppy 101 classes 5 weeks ago (1x per week) and I think the treats are giving him diarrhea. Throughout all of this, he acts completely happy. Any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by aadgate8350 View Post
                We have a 5 month old, male Dane who doesn't seem to want to eat at any particular time in a day. Sometimes he wakes up hungry and eats 2.5 cups, other times he won't eat until late morning which will mess with his dinner time that could range between 530p and 800p where he eats another 2.5 cups...and that's if we are lucky. I tried mixing about 1/4 cup chicken in his food to encourage eating and that typically helps but I'm not sure if that's ok to do. We also started Puppy 101 classes 5 weeks ago (1x per week) and I think the treats are giving him diarrhea. Throughout all of this, he acts completely happy. Any advice?
                Pick a set time, put his food down for 15 minutes or so, then put it away until the next time he needs to eat. As for treat causing diarrhea, perhaps you should try treating him with plain boiled chicken or bits of cheese.
                sigpic
                Fergus
                SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                Eisen Shark
                C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

We can try that for sure. I think we just feel bad that he will be very hungry. I also think we are overthinking the protein concerns with our puppy. So you are saying that we could try bits of chicken or cheese during our puppy classes versus store bough treats? And if we do that, would you consider that his meal that evening or still give his normal meal? I've also been reading about rice to help with the diarrhea...any truth to that?

Comment

Originally posted by aadgate8350 View Post
                    We can try that for sure. I think we just feel bad that he will be very hungry. I also think we are overthinking the protein concerns with our puppy. So you are saying that we could try bits of chicken or cheese during our puppy classes versus store bough treats? And if we do that, would you consider that his meal that evening or still give his normal meal? I've also been reading about rice to help with the diarrhea...any truth to that?
                    Rice will help with the diarrhea, but you shouldn't be giving him that many treats or large treats to cause it.

Comment

Acustom to a certain standard

I am always hesitant with giving pets too many treats or feeding them different foods because I know there are dogs that, once they taste food that isn't kibble, they won't go back to eating only 'dry' food. At my house we started feeding my dog wet canned food for a bit and now he won't eat plain kibble anymore. We mix 1/2 and 1/2 now. This is why I always get cautious about regularly feeding dogs a different diet, especially if its only a short term plan.

Comment

Working...
                      X