When to stop feeding puppy food?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to stop feeding puppy food?

I've read before that you should keep feeding puppy food until your dog is about a year and a half old, but some people on here have said that they are feeding adult food already and their dogs are less than a year old, so when should you switch to adult food? Right now I'm feeding my nine week old dane puppy eagle pack 23/12 large and giant breed puppy formula and she seems to be eating really well. Just wondering when people normally switch their pups to adult food.

RE: When to stop feeding puppy food?

You should never feed your puppy, puppy food. I suggest you switch to an adult formula.

Comment

My breeder was giving Iams large breed puppy food. I kept them on that for two weeks after I got them and slowly switched to Solid Gold adult lamb and barley. They were completely on adult food by 12 weeks.

Comment

Great Danes should always be on adult. puppy even large breed puppy is too high in protein for giant breed puppys 24/12 21/12 23/12 is more appropriate for slow even growth and preventing growth related problems.

Lisa Mcintosh
        http://xceldanes.com/index.html
        sigpicLisa
        www.xceldanes.com

Comment

>so when should you switch to adult food?
          At they end of your bag/ right now!

>Right now I'm feeding my nine week old dane puppy eagle pack 23/12 >large and giant breed puppy formula and she seems to be eating really well.

Good brand keep the same but "adult formula" is the one you would love to pick next time...

>Just wondering when people normally switch their pups to >adult food.

As fast as they joint the Dol. club.... Welcome to the diet tread... hahahah!

congratulation for the puppy BTW!
          julie :+ :7

Comment

I'm assuming 23/12 is the protein to fat ratio?

That fits in the general guidelines, but there might be something else wrong with it that I'm not aware of. I think I remember that Eagle was the only acceptable large/giant breed puppy formula out there.

Tracy

Comment

While 99.9% of 'puppy' foods out there are not good for a dane, you are using perhaps the only one that is... eagle pak giant breed puppy formula is fine for your puppy. This is a relatively new food so I'm not sure when you should switch to an adult formula...not sure, in this case, what is different between their puppy formula and adult formula. So, I guess, I can't really answer your question on when to switch...but did want to say that this food should be absolutely fine for your pup!

And, congrats on your new pup!

m0mof2
              Andre 1/23/2002 - 12/27/2009: I loved you all your life...and I shall miss you for the rest of mine.

sigpic

Comment

I was told at the pet store that there very little difference between the adult and large/giant breed puppy food that Eagle makes. Next time you are in the store compare the ratios and ingreidents. If I remember they are the same. I would switch to the adult I think it's cheaper. I think it's just a marketing thing. I would just check it out. If it's the same then take you pick. Just remember the fat/protien guidelines. Keep the protien low.

Comment

Whenever I buy a different brand of dog food for my boy, I clip the ingredients label and put it in a file labeled dog food.

Since you are already feeding a proper food for your puppy, your question might be when do you switch to a food with higher protein/fat percentages?

Some folks do at 12-14 months, some at 18, others never. Depends on your dog and his development.

Switched mine at 14 months in an attempt to put weight on him for the show ring. He started putting on weight at 31 months!

mp

Comment

According to many things I've seen, Eagle is the ONLY puppy food that is a good choice for dane puppies, otherwise adult food should be fed and be sure they are still within that protein/fat ratio (even not all adult foods fall into that category so you need to read labels).

I would think you could try Linda Ardnt's web site to see if she has a recommendation on when to switch. We've always just used adult formulas in the appropriate ratios and have not had any problems.

Comment

Wow, I thought you were supposed to keep puppy's on puppy food for a while, guess I was way off. I have been mixing her puppy food with frozen Bil-jac, about 70% kibble and 30% Bil-Jac, but I've still got about 20lbs. of kibble left so when she's almost out of that I'll check out the difference between the puppy formula and adult formula. I'll also check out Linda Arndt's site too, she recommends the eagle pack 23/12, that's why I chose that puppy food. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

I just checked out Linda's site and it said "no puppy or performance foods other than eagle pack large/giant breed puppy formula" so I guess I'm ok.

Comment

Other, smaller breeds do eat puppy for and for quite a long time. You will quickly learn that the giant breeds have a whole set of their own needs and that the "general" puppy information that you'll find for "any" breed just doesn't apply.
                          Sound like you are on the right track. Good luck!

Comment

Hi there,
                            I fed my Dane Jake Iams large breed puppy until he was 18 months old, then I switched to Pro-Pac large breed adult. His breeder and my vets advised me to go for the Iams, and he did very well on it. Could be that he didnt grow like other Danes-hes only 115lbs at 30 months! But, it kept him from the skinny growth spurts, and he didnt grow all that fast. (I now add veggies and cooked meats to the kibble)

Comment

I WOULD JUST GIVE HIM ADULT FOOD NOT PUPPY FOOD IS TOO HIGH ON PROTEIN (THAT IS WHAT MY BREEDER SAID) AND NATURAL BALANCE DRY FOOD IS A REAL GOOD NO-MEAT-BY-PRODUCTS FOOD. TRY NATURAL BALANCE ADULT FOOD. JUST MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT GIVING HIM MEAT-BY-PRODUCTS AND TOO HIGH PROTEIN. MY DANE IS 5 MONTHS OLD AND I GIVE HIM NATURAL BALANCE DRY AND WET FOOD AND SOMETIMES CHICHEN LIVER WITH RICE. HE SEEMS TO BE FINE.

Comment

Working...
                              X