One protein source food/ allergies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One protein source food/ allergies

Hello my danes are Lijah,17 months, Luke,5 months. Lijah I assume fights allergies in that he has runny eyes several times a year and has an musty odor ( I heard from bacteria, yeast) several times a year. I allowed them to put him on antibiotics a couple times when younger for the odor and bumps on belly, but don't anymore. They are both eating Precise Holistic large breed, and their poop isn't sold to often. Also, both are on the thin side, meaning you see ribs and hip bones. They both eat above recommended on the bag and if I try to increase they get diarrhea. Luke is on puppy food, 3 1/4 morning and evening, acts like he is starving all the time. Lijah ears, 4 cups morning and evening. They get a a Nuvet vitamin and first choice naturals probiotics daily. Luke doesn't have allergy issues as of now but always acts hungry. Lijah is my concern because he does and on a good food. I am told to so to a single source food with Lijah, just like some recommendations on that and brand. I heard some say Fromm or pure Vita? I went through this for years in my last dane. Funny my first Dane are a food that probably wasn't to great, Iamms, no vitamins and never had issues.

Originally posted by chiefdane View Post
    Hello my danes are Lijah,17 months, Luke,5 months. Lijah I assume fights allergies in that he has runny eyes several times a year and has an musty odor ( I heard from bacteria, yeast) several times a year. I allowed them to put him on antibiotics a couple times when younger for the odor and bumps on belly, but don't anymore. They are both eating Precise Holistic large breed, and their poop isn't sold to often. Also, both are on the thin side, meaning you see ribs and hip bones. They both eat above recommended on the bag and if I try to increase they get diarrhea. Luke is on puppy food, 3 1/4 morning and evening, acts like he is starving all the time. Lijah ears, 4 cups morning and evening. They get a a Nuvet vitamin and first choice naturals probiotics daily. Luke doesn't have allergy issues as of now but always acts hungry. Lijah is my concern because he does and on a good food. I am told to so to a single source food with Lijah, just like some recommendations on that and brand. I heard some say Fromm or pure Vita? I went through this for years in my last dane. Funny my first Dane are a food that probably wasn't to great, Iamms, no vitamins and never had issues.
    You are feeding a good quality food so you should NOT be giving any vitamins at all. Also if stools aren't normal than it would be advisable to switch to a different food and definitely stop the Nuvet vitamins. Over feeding can cause soft stools especially if over feeding a good quality food.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Should I change Lijah over to a one source protein food? And take him off of Precise Holistic large breed? If so what would be recommended? I will take them off of vitamins then if they stay on a good food.

Comment

Also, is it necessary to do supplements? Lijah's breeder recommended the vitamins for all their life.

Comment

If allergies (or what you suspect are allergies) are presenting with watery eyes that's more likely to be environmental instead of food. Your best bet would be to have an allergy panel done to really find out what is the cause.
          How long have they been eating this particular food? If it's been several months or longer then I would consider a change.
          sigpic
          Fergus
          SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
          Eisen Shark
          C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Lijah was sent home on a cheap food and was having skin bacterial issues at 9 months as well as runny eyes for months. I switched him to Precise Holistic large breed and he has been on it for 8 months. He has had that musty odor to his skin a few times since. His stool has never really been firm on Precise, but sometimes no form. He eats it well and didn't the other though. I was trying to decide if I should go to Precise Sensicare which is for Yeast or a one source protein dog food like Fromm or something else.
            Luke my 5 month old never has stools firm either and always acts like he is hungry but eats 3 1/4 cups twice a day. Both have great looking coats.

Comment

The runny eyes and yeasty-ness sound more like environmental allergies vs. a food allergy. Have the times when this has been worse always been at a particular time of year, or following a certain event (e.g., in the Spring time, or after you mow the lawn?)

My Dane has environmental and food allergies. We did move him to a single-protein food with no potatoes (very starchy and can exacerbate yeast issues).

The soft poops may be related to feeding too much, or the addition of a vitamin as another poster had mentioned. I'd cut down the amount you're feeding, discontinue any other treats, supplements, vitamins etc. and see if that helps.

We had good success with the Canine Caviar venison food. A single protein, and a more novel protein (venison, rabbit etc.) may be good routes to explore if you do further consider a food change.

Good luck - allergies are the worst!
              sigpic
              - Special Clark -
              - Rescued: January 24, 2015 -
              - Birthday: June 10, 2013 -

Comment

Luke and Lijah have been on a vitamin since birth and so I discontinued the vitamin and Walleye.... it helped their stools... I do agree that the Precise Holistic is a great food but both Lijah and Luke get alittle above the required amount and both are to skinny, ribs, hip bones... I cannot really increase without diarrhea, so is there anything else I can do to fatten them up?

Comment

Testing

Comment

Testing

Comment

Originally posted by chiefdane View Post
                      Luke and Lijah have been on a vitamin since birth and so I discontinued the vitamin and Walleye.... it helped their stools... I do agree that the Precise Holistic is a great food but both Lijah and Luke get alittle above the required amount and both are to skinny, ribs, hip bones... I cannot really increase without diarrhea, so is there anything else I can do to fatten them up?
                      You can try adding a good quality canned food, lean meat, shredded cheese , cottage cheese (if not under 12 months), egg..also you may want to consider switching to a high calorie food that is of good quality (and if 12 months or under within the safe calcium/phosphorous levels).
                      sigpic
                      Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                      Associate Member GDCNE
                      Member GSPCA
                      Member NAVHDA
                      Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                      High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
                      X