Rats II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rats II

I decided Shark's first barn hunt trial deserved a new thread. We just made a day trip to a trial a few hours from us yesterday. Left our house at 4:30 AM, picked up our Cocker friend, and pulled into the venue about 2 minutes before rules briefing lol. We entered the instinct portion, and then both novice trials for the day. Shark found the rat in the instinct but clueless Mom didn't call it. I was looking for his normal alert and he gave me something totally different, so I missed that cue lol. For the first novice trial he found the rat SUPER fast. I went ahead and let him hunt a bit before I called him back to double check then called rat. Of course there was no tunnel for us, but he did at least briefly show interest. Size is obviously a factor in the tunnel, but I think he's most opposed to it because he wants to hunt and that's dumb. Funny enough, his Cocker friend is the same way. It's like he goes through the tunnel to make his mom shut up so he can find more rats lol. They're all so fun to watch!

For the second novice run Shark grabbed a tube and threw it around like it had a treasure in it (his normal alert lol, poor freaking rats) and I called it. And of course it was the litter tube, not the live rat. Oh well. I think at that point he was hot and tired, and wanted a nap under the AC. He wasn't really even interested in the rat when we showed him.

Everyone was totally in love with him and awed by his wicked hunting skills. When we were done and chilling at the crate, I had SO many people walk over to sing his praises, and several also suggested contacting the BH powers that be to see if there's a chance they would accomodate big dogs, so I think I'll do that. Can't hurt to try.

Here's my Shark puppy relaxing with his loot- a rat themed goodie bag for instinct entries, and a dancing dog toy because he had the best butt wiggle ever lol.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Fergus
    SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
    Eisen Shark
    C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Maybe this time the picture will be upright?
    sigpic
    Fergus
    Eisen Shark

Comment

So cute! My doggie PT does BH with o e of his mastiffs. It's so cool to watch!
      sigpicKelly

Comment

Ooooh! I would love to see that! Next to Shark, a rough collie or maybe a Dobe was the biggest I saw there. Does the mastiff have tunnel issues?
        sigpic
        Fergus
        Eisen Shark

Comment

I know this is from last summer, but I am interested in (a) barn hunt, and (b) what kind of portable kennel your Shark is in?
          Barn Hunt is kind of big around here and I would love to try it with Tank. One of the local judges gives lessons at her house. I think it looks like fun, and it doesn't cost a bucket of money. I don't have any sort of portable kennel situation. What do you use, or what have you seen people use? His actual kennel is so hard to move, that he couldn't ride in the SUV with it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobcatGrad View Post
            I know this is from last summer, but I am interested in (a) barn hunt, and (b) what kind of portable kennel your Shark is in?
            Barn Hunt is kind of big around here and I would love to try it with Tank. One of the local judges gives lessons at her house. I think it looks like fun, and it doesn't cost a bucket of money. I don't have any sort of portable kennel situation. What do you use, or what have you seen people use? His actual kennel is so hard to move, that he couldn't ride in the SUV with it.
            I have to use an ex pen with him, I just have a lid for it. It's a 42" ex pen, and I now have 2 lids I use as a top and a bottom. And barn hunt is super fun! We started it as something to do until he was ready for the obedience ring. Just be aware that a barn hunt tunnel is probably not going to happen if your dog is very big. They're smaller than agility tunnels. Shark's butt is literally too wide to go through the opening now.
            sigpic
            Fergus
            Eisen Shark

Comment

Working...
            X