No announcement yet.

Hod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you taken his temperature at all? At the vets or at home?
    You also havent said whether or not xrays have been taken.

Im still not convinced this is HOD.
    Carolyn
    Divine Acres Great Danes
    Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the responses...He has had 2 x-rays which one last Tuesday and one yesterday and they have both been inconclusive. He had a fever for 3 days, and today he is much better. He took his "first" steps when he was out going potty. But I just won't let him walk because he is still so bowed. The swelling has went down tremendously over the last 24 hours.

Comment

No vaccines since he was 8 weeks old... he is now 13 weeks old.

Comment

<<But I just won't let him walk because he is still so bowed.>>

Bowed? Again, Im no vet but HOD normally is swelling of the joints, not bowed legs.
          I suppose ultimately whether its HOD or another growth issue, they are all treated the same way. ACV tonic, lower the protein in the food, Nonsaids, limited exercise and keeping them hydrated and comfortable. Unless its the growth issue Patty mentioned than I believe that requires surgery.
          Im scratching my head.

Hope he is better soon.
          Carolyn
          Divine Acres Great Danes
          Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
          sigpic

Comment

I guess bowed isn't quite the word...they are pointed out like in the pic. All four legs point out to some extent starting at the last joint

Comment

Annie's feet pointed outward and they got worse and worse. By the time we finally got a diognosis she was almost walking on the sides, they were turned so far out. By then, the radius' had started to bow forward so much that I was afraid they would snap. If I could post pictures I would. If you would like me to send them to you via email, just email me with your address. I'll check the archives and see if there are any there.
              ~Patty~ I have the right to remain silent; I don't have the ability.

Comment

I'll try this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../legssmall.jpg
                Last edited by empm; 12-03-2008, 08:20 PM. Reason: delete

Comment

Originally posted by Forcefulrain View Post
                  No vaccines since he was 8 weeks old... he is now 13 weeks old.
                  What kind of vaccines? How many?

They can have vaccine reaction several weeks after getting them.

Regards,
                  Renee
                  http://californiadreaminggreatdanes.com/

"Being kind is much more important than being right. Sometimes, what a person needs is not a brilliant mind that speaks, but a patient heart that understands." ~Unknown

Comment

How is your pup doing? I had a puppy buyer run into a severe vaccine reaction, vaccinosis, about 3 weeks after the vaccines were given. The medical treatment, I emailed you from my vet, is the only way, that I have found, to treat vaccinosis.
                    Mimi
                    saravilla
                    Mimi Kim
                    Saravilla
                    www.saravillagreatdanes.com
                    Secretary Great Dane Club Western PA
                    Dane Connection Rescue Chair

Comment

YEAH!!! Everyone thank you so much for all your support and kindness...Dozer is doing about 80% better today! He tried to run this morning and because of his pointed out feet he just isn't ready, but his personality is all back to normal...His favorite game is peek a boo, and this morning we were playing and he just howls at me like a hound dog and puts his foot in my face! He can get up from a laying position into a sitting position but is yet unable to get from sitting to standing. But he is so much better! He had his first shots when he was 6 weeks old and then he only had one other shot when he was 8weeks old, I just can't remember which shot it was but I know that it wasn't the distemper because the breeder had told me not to get that until he was about a year old. I must have left his vac. records at the vet the other day so I need to call about that. I am thinking of switching to the giant breed adult, how long do you think I should mix that with his puppy?

Comment

How is Dozer doing? Its really better that he doesn't try to do too much so he can rest and his bones don't alter too much.

If his pain/swelling is bad you might want to see if your vet can get the injectable Traumeel. Its a homeopathic remedy that comes in several forms but the injection worked wonders for us during HOD.

The Dane vet here also swears by MSM for it and says he hasn't had to euthanize for HOD pain since he's started using it.

I hope Dozer is improving!

Definitely get him off that puppy food NOW. Don't mix it in the new food. Just switch to a similar food, ie if you are feeding a chicken puppy food, try to get a chicken adult. When Hank had HOD (his former home also fed him puppy food) I went on California Natural Chicken and Rice, 21%.
                        Last edited by alicat613; 12-04-2008, 03:58 PM.

Comment

I'll try again to post a picture
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Forcefulrain View Post
                            YEAH!!! Everyone thank you so much for all your support and kindness...Dozer is doing about 80% better today! He tried to run this morning and because of his pointed out feet he just isn't ready, but his personality is all back to normal...His favorite game is peek a boo, and this morning we were playing and he just howls at me like a hound dog and puts his foot in my face! He can get up from a laying position into a sitting position but is yet unable to get from sitting to standing. But he is so much better! He had his first shots when he was 6 weeks old and then he only had one other shot when he was 8weeks old, I just can't remember which shot it was but I know that it wasn't the distemper because the breeder had told me not to get that until he was about a year old. I must have left his vac. records at the vet the other day so I need to call about that. I am thinking of switching to the giant breed adult, how long do you think I should mix that with his puppy?
                            Was it distemper or rabies the breeder wanted you to wait till
                            a year for??

If distemper.. your breeder is a dangerous nut. Distemper is an air born
                            virus that before there was a vaccine wiped out entire kennels and
                            killed millions of dogs.

Your boy needs to see a vet ASAP to asure that he is up to date on
                            his shots.
                            Read this first...
                            http://www.dolforum.com/forum/showth...ccine+protocol

Glad he's doing so well.

Dee
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Devil Dog View Post
                              Was it distemper or rabies the breeder wanted you to wait till
                              a year for??

If distemper.. your breeder is a dangerous nut. Distemper is an air born
                              virus that before there was a vaccine wiped out entire kennels and
                              killed millions of dogs.

Your boy needs to see a vet ASAP to asure that he is up to date on
                              his shots.
                              Read this first...
                              http://www.dolforum.com/forum/showth...ccine+protocol

Glad he's doing so well.

Dee

I agree with Dee. I can't imagine any breeder telling a puppy buyer to forego vaccinating against distemper.

Surely, your breeder said rabies.
                              Nancy
                              Calico Rock Danes
                              Alabama

Comment

Sorry, it's been so long since I posted, we've been really having a time with our baby...he got better and now it's his hind end that isn't working. It was rabies they said to wait a year for. Our vet recommended waiting for more vaccines until after this is over. I got him on the Raw Apple Cider Vinegar and honey on Friday. The vet said we'd wait until Monday and if he isn't any better he will start him on Rimadyl. This is so frustrating!! Because he acted so much better a few days ago, now it's back to the beginning!

Comment

Working...
                                X