Groans While Sleeping at Night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groans While Sleeping at Night

We got a 9 1/2 week old puppy on Sunday (10 weeks old today). We took her to the vet on Monday and everything checked out okay. We have her in a crate at night on my side of the bed and she's done great with housetraining.

However, she groans almost the entire night while sleeping when she moves around and changes position. It seems like this is a pretty common Dane thang, but wanted to make sure there wasn't something we could do to alleviate this because she keeps my wife up at night.

The people we got her from had her on El Cheapo puppy food that you get at the local farm store. We have her on Pedigree Large Breed (not puppy) since it's much lower in protein than the puppy food.

Is this just growing pains from her being on that high protein puppy food before we got her? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.
    lifewithduchess.com A daily blog about the adventures of a Great Dane and her family.

sigpic

It's a dane thing...and what a dane thing! She may grow out of it, or she just might be a groaner.

Also...I know you're not looking for advice on food, but Pedigree isn't the best choice of food - tons of filler. If you're able to, you might consider switching. There are lots of great options in the Kibble section.
    Katie & Scarlett
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your reply... I've read a lot about food options when researching Danes, but we live in a very, very, very rural area and our options are extremely limited. We have to drive an hour just to get the Pedigree large breed.

It really stinks sometimes living in the boonies!
      lifewithduchess.com A daily blog about the adventures of a Great Dane and her family.

sigpic

Comment

Yup, a dane thing! Our dane is a snorer, moaner, dreams and barks in her sleep - its a wonder she even gets any rest!
        As for food, I feel your pain - we too are in the boonies, and I do have some suggestions for you if you are looking to change foods, if not feel free to ignore me
        I did find diamond brand dog food hidden among the hunters pride at our local feed 'n seed which was only 20 minutes away. It may be worth doing a little tour of the tractor and feed stores...
        Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
        - Anatole France

Comment

I wish Goofy was a noisy one sometimes. He's quiet lol. Hopefully your pup will grow out of it so your wife can get some sleep!

You always have the option of buying your kibble online. TOTW is a great grain free kibble and if you buy it online it cost around $55.
          Just an idea if money isn't an issue!
          sigpicThings are doing great!!!

Comment

k9cuisine.com has some great choices (and prices/special offers)! They ship directly to you, so that's another option!

Most likely growing pains...does she have bedding?
            ~Laura~

Dori: 7 years (TDI, CGC), Toby: RIP SWEET BOY (CGC), Cami: 7 years (TDI, CGC)

sigpic

Comment

Content puppy moans and groans.......in my experience, this is totally normal when sleeping. Most, if not all, of my pups have done this.........and sometimes they continue to do it into adulthood. Re. the food.......we also live in a very rural area and found that the feedstore 45 min. from us would order the food that we wanted and keep it in stock. Got any pictures of that new little cutie???
              sigpic

Comment

I'll check out the online food stores... I figured shipping would be outrageous on dog food. I hadn't thought about checking with a local store to see if they'd special order and keep it in stock. Worth looking into. I had seen some posts about TOTW, but it sounded like diarrhea city.

And to answer the question, yes she has bedding in her crate. She's got a plethora of old towels, my undershirt, and a couple toys. If she keeps groaning, I'm afraid my wife is going to want to move her into another room which I would hate!

Here are some pics as requested!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jjphoto View Post
                  I had seen some posts about TOTW, but it sounded like diarrhea city.
                  Not sure where you got that information but it is far from correct. The Pacific Stream formula has actually helped a lot of dogs out of just that issue with other foods and many dogs do very well on the other formulas as well. Like any dog food out there, there is not one that works for all dogs and it is about finding one food that works for your specific dog, your budget and your location. There are actually many members here who feed ToTW and have had really great results with it.
                  sigpic

Comment

I read it on a thread here... someone said they had fed TOTW and came home to poop all over the entire house, furniture, etc. I read that and moved right along. Guess I quit reading too fast.

sigpic

Comment

Whoa, according to the TOTW website, the Tractor Supply here sells it. Will have to check that out. I assume that TOTW is acceptable for my 10 week old?

sigpic

Comment

When ever you change kibbles expect a few days to a few weeks of diarrhea while your dog acclimates. I always suggest switching on a Friday that way you have the whole weekend around to let your dog out whenever they need it while their stomach gets used to the new food. With grain free foods you switch often times cold turkey so it can get nasty for the first day or two.

Also some dogs are intolerant to certain proteins and grains and often times you do not discover this till much to your dismay you are covered in poo. Chicken and wheat are pretty common and beef as well even tho less recognized as few kibbles have beef in them.

When researching a kibble read many opinions or just post a thread asking about the specific food. There are many members here so there is a good chance someone is feeding what you are curious about or has fed it in the past and can give you some feed back about what they liked and do not like and if they would feed it. The same kibble that one person had a bad experience with 20 people could like and the same one that one person had a great experience 20 people could dislike. It really is about what works best for your dog and what he is going to not only make him healthier but something he enjoys so he truly thrives.

The most IMPORTANT fact when trying a new kibble and your dogs reaction to it.... buy the small bag. The small bag should get you a week or so and give you a good idea how your pup is going to do on it without investing in an entire 30lb bag while you are trying to find something to work for your pup. Or ask for samples.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jjphoto View Post
                          Whoa, according to the TOTW website, the Tractor Supply here sells it. Will have to check that out. I assume that TOTW is acceptable for my 10 week old?
                          Perfectly acceptable, but word of warning. Take the amount you are feeding right now and cut it by 2/3s to 1/2 depending on the amount. I would feed at his age 3cups of ToTW to your pup. It will look like such a small amount, but he is getting all the nutrients he needs in that amount with significantly less calories. Since calories along with minerals are the major cause of growth related issues this is good news. You will also notice his growth get a little spurty when you first change since he will be getting a constant source of nutrients and much less filler. After that he will level out completely and you will notice slow and steady growth with a good muscular structure and little to no fat.

You should always see 2 ribs but no back or hip bones. If your pup is showing too much up his food in half cup incriments and give it a week to show results. If the opposite happens and your pup is too heavy then decrease it by half a cup and do the same. The best way to judge the amount of food to feed your pup is by evaluating his body and adjusting. He should stay lean but not skeletal. After your initial spurts you should not notice any huge spurts that take him to being skeletal like you often see with other foods and the weight/feeding guide on the back of the bags are a great way to get started and then adjust from there.

+ToTW for whatever reason, is often only sold at farm and feed stores. Every now and then a specialty pet store will carry it but I most often am able to locate it at the hole in the wall feed supply stores. Who knows why.
                          sigpic

Comment

We'll swing by there after dinner and see what they have. If we get any, I'll mix just a little bit in with her Pedigree and watch for changes. Thanks for all the info.

sigpic

Comment

Eeep. I would watch mixing the two. As you are mixing a very low quality grain inclusive food with high grain content with a no grain food. Mixing them will end up causing you to overload the calorie content and unbalance the diet with too many minerals. Sadly, with grain free it is all or nothing. Often mixing the two with just prolong the lack of hard stool and cause you to get mixed stools. Where the first part is hard and formed then pudding poo after. Dogs process grains and grain proteins at a different rate than they process meat and meat based proteins. So you end up causing their system to digest at the rate the majority is going which when mixing the two should be meat protein making the rest come along for the ride unformed. Now you can mix two grain frees together and a few here mix Orijen and ToTW as they are processed identically. Some Raw feeders are even able to go and feed grain free foods in a bind when they are out of raw or on a vacation without stool issues and go back.

I have fed Faust straight High Prairie, other than a brief bag of wetlands which he has not forgiven me for taking away his precious High Prairie, since he was 7 weeks old. He is very lean for his age normally mid range weight wise but topping the height if not going an inch over. He has remained lean since he was a puppy which is ideal as it puts less stress on their joints during their major growth phases.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X