This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOD=hypertrophic osteodystrophy study

I am working with a researcher to start a study on HOD=hypertrophic osteodystrophy in Danes. SO if you have a "survivor" (adult who had HOD), have pups now with this (or have in the past), let me know please, as we are wanting to collect histories and blood samples on all.

Write to me PRIVATELY at the below email with your questions and experiences. "jp"
    And PLEASE DO pass this email along to other lists and so on (trying to get the word out worldwide!).

Best regards, JP Yousha
    Chairman, Health and Research Committee
    Great Dane Club of America
    http://www.gdca.org/healthandwelfare.htm
    danehealth@gdca.org

------------------------
    Great Danes Online
    www.danesonline.com
    ------------------------
    Great Danes Online Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/danesonline
    ------------------------
    Admin Blog
    -------------//--------------

reckon i should just keep up with Harleys experiences since we aint for sure yet if he does or dont have HOD?
    sigpicHarley

Comment

Well, we figured out what was wrong. A new ultrasound technician just started a couple days ago and decided to go ahead and give Monty one. He has an intestinal blockage that is too far down to pull out so he is going to have surgery. I have no clue what he could have eaten. He is never left alone outside, or in the house. We have never given him rawhides or greenies exactly for that reason. The only thing I can figure is that he ate a part of a stuffed toy that he ripped to shreds. So no more of those for him. He is just going to have to stick with his kongs. I hate that he has to have surgery, but I'm glad they found what was causing this.
      sigpic

Comment

Don't know either

Originally posted by Jacobsmom View Post
        reckon i should just keep up with Harleys experiences since we aint for sure yet if he does or dont have HOD?
        My puppy just got diagnosed as well. He is just about 7.5 months. I don't know if this is a correct diagnosis as he seems absolutely fine. He was limping first in the left food then in the right food, so i took him to the vet. At first he said it was Pano, then he called me today saying the radiologist said it was HOD. It's been over a week since we stopped walking him and he is a ball of energy, does not limp and seems just fine? I have been giving him Rimidyll but I don't see any difference in him whether he takes it or not.

Comment

Just diagnosed today

I have a 4 month old female Dane and we were received confirmation of HOD today.

Unfortunately we were misdiagnosed twice before I gave up on our local vet and went to another vet that specializes in large breeds. (Note: by then I had already suspected HOD from the information I had received on this forum. If you need more info, please let me know.

Edited to add: Sent info to email address.
          Last edited by DawnWilliams; 05-21-2012, 06:30 PM.

Comment

You might want to ad in the info what the pup was fed food wise. ALL of it, treats, dry, wet, raw, bag, chewies etc. Also how much of each of these they were fed.

I believe most HOD is due to the feed the pup is being fed.

Comment

hi all. so i am just learning about HOD on here. i feel a little naive for not knowing of this before, but i want to do whatever i can to prevent it. My pup is 5 months and seems very healthy but as a concerned mother i would like advice. is there something i can add to his food or do differently for his diet to help prevent this? someone told me the other day that goats milk was very good for danes especially when they are puppies. any feedback on this? and i am also looking to get pet insurance on him, because i know that they are prone to so many health problems, and the vet bills can add up pretty quick. anyone else have advice on healthcare plans? maybe good sites, and what kind of coverage would be best

Comment

Hod

Had a puppy that was recently diagnosed with HOD and pneumonia 1 week ago today. It's a heartbreaking condition. We took her to the emergency room where she was diagnosed by X-rays. 1 week later you would never know she was completely unable to run, walk or even stand! 100% back to her puppy self.
                A little nervous though they said she can have a relapse before the 8 month mark- she's only 15 weeks today. Anyone have a relapse if HOD?

Comment

Originally posted by Salrn View Post
                  Had a puppy that was recently diagnosed with HOD and pneumonia 1 week ago today. It's a heartbreaking condition. We took her to the emergency room where she was diagnosed by X-rays. 1 week later you would never know she was completely unable to run, walk or even stand! 100% back to her puppy self.
                  A little nervous though they said she can have a relapse before the 8 month mark- she's only 15 weeks today. Anyone have a relapse if HOD?
                  My Great Dane puppy was diagnosed with HOD this past week he won't drink anything for me. Can I ask what did they put your puppy on for medications and were you able to get your puppy to drink?
                  Thanks
                  Crissy

Comment

Originally posted by Luthor333 View Post
                    My Great Dane puppy was diagnosed with HOD this past week he won't drink anything for me. Can I ask what did they put your puppy on for medications and were you able to get your puppy to drink?
                    Thanks
                    Crissy
                    I would start a new thread, maybe post pictures. Lots of older threads with a lot of info about HOD and care.
                    If your pup isn't drinking at all you may consider having an iv line put in. A pup that's not drinking won't be eatting. Pups can't go very long without food.
                    Many others have experience about medications, and care.

Comment

Chrissy- I am sorry to hear if your pup being diagnosed with HOD. My Phoebe did have a relapse in June and was unable to walk for three weeks. Despite trips to the Vet and getting a second opinion and third opinion Phoebe crossed the rainbow bridge July 2,2013.
                      The Dr said it was the worse case he had ever seen and I can not find pictures to compare her swelling in her joints to another dog of any breed.
                      Phoebe was on clavamox for the pneumonia that comes with HOD and rimadyl for swelling and ultram for pain. She had episodes that kept me hopeful that she was improving, but just got worse a few days later.
                      We went with the suggestions of The Great Dane Lady with the low protein food, and the supplements she recommended, but it did not help.
                      I hope your pup gets better soon and has no relapses. Good Luck!

Comment

So I'm new to the breed and new to finding information on HOD. This is my pup, we were just at the Vet so I'd hope they would say something but unless familiar with the breed...who knows. Should I be concerned or is this normal growth? He's 3 months old.

Comment

Working...
                        X