No announcement yet.

Apoquel - new drug

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every drug company is going to have a bad reputation for something. If you look hard enough you'll be able to find bad press against any company.

To be perfectly honest and blunt and it may sound callous but so far this drug in a very short time has taken my boy from itching every waking moment and not resting to not itching at all and that has been since a few hours after his first dose on Saturday. Now for the healing of his raw skin. The scars will always be there on his body. Now for the frank part if it shortens his life at least he will have a happy short life and not a miserable one. I am much happier with him having a short yet happy life than a long miserable one. He's had enough issues ok his 5 years that no dog or person should have to go through.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
      Now for the frank part if it shortens his life at least he will have a happy short life and not a miserable one. I am much happier with him having a short yet happy life than a long miserable one. He's had enough issues ok his 5 years that no dog or person should have to go through.
      Well and on the other side of that, skin infections from scratching and constant antibiotic use could shorten his life as well. I don't see where this person is going w/ this, but if it is helping your boy so much, then it is totally worth it. I am glad you have found something that is helping him out.
      Michele
      Mom to: Angel huskyx (3/15/2001), Lestat labx (12/1/2001), Mystra beaglex (04/01/2005), Merlin airedale (08/01/2012)
      RIP my loves:
      Isis (dane) (7/1/2005-11/5/2011), Venus (dane) (9/1/02-06/24/13)

Comment

Originally posted by gr8danlvr1 View Post
        Well and on the other side of that, skin infections from scratching and constant antibiotic use could shorten his life as well. I don't see where this person is going w/ this, but if it is helping your boy so much, then it is totally worth it. I am glad you have found something that is helping him out.

EXACTLY! In the end so far he's comfortable again. He's also FULL of sass which is so nice to see.

sigpic

Comment

I agree with Paradis. I myself personally take two drugs that have potentially life shortening results. I feel my options are to take the drugs, live well for possibly less time, or live a very painful life for longer. I choose the medicine.

I am glad to hear so many of you are finding relief for your dogs.

Comment

FYI - The company IS doing an extended study on it. The dogs that are on it in the study have been on it for over 3 years, and go in for regular bloodwork and exams - no adverse signs so far. It CAN be an immune suppresent if used off label according to the rep (ie. inc. the dose off label)

Comment

Well, I can report that this drug works exactly like Pred for my guy. It took a bit longer to start working than some other reports, but after the 6th tab, about a day and a half, his itch is about 85% turned off.

I would say that this drug works exactly like Prednisone (Temaril-P), but w/out the steroid and extreme thirst. So far, so good.

Paradis, i'm with you. My boy is also 5 and he has had a really terrible go at life this first 5 years. This is a break-through drug for us.
              sigpic
              Chloe

RIP Chaos! July 25, 2009 - Sep 4, 2015. Your sister and I miss you deeply, but will see you again some day!

Comment

Will, Festus has done way better on this than the temaril p. with the temaril he still was a bit itchy. We have had excellent results with this apoquel probably due to the fact he came off atopica right onto this. I did not do the two tablets twice a day loading dose I've just done the two tablets once a day and have been giving it to him with food.
                sigpic

Comment

Letter from Zoetis

Received a letter yesterday outlining the temporary shortage. Apparently they had planned on maybe 5-10M doses being sold and they're already up over 25M doses. They don't want pets that have already been started on the drug to not be able to get it so they are limiting sales of the drug to hospitals that were the first to order (and consequently have the first patients on it).
                  I tried to upload it but at 49K it exceeds the limit of 19K. No worries. That's the gist of it.
                  Warren Briggs, DVM
                  www.ocvh.com
                  www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

Dr Briggs, hopefully this means that my clinic will be able to get the doses in for Festus before he runs out. This is making me kind of nervous. I've already asked them to get in two more bottles for him. I am kicking myself now for not ordering more in to begin with. Hopefully Festus' Dr is able to get a reorder on it seeing that he was able to get it in stock for me in the beginning.

Did they outline when they expect stock to come back in of it at all?
                    sigpic

Comment

I was wondering how everyone is doing with the new medicine? I know some of you are waiting for it to be off back order. Are you still waiting?

I hope to start Kodi on it soon!
                      sigpic Brenda
                      RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
                      Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

Zoetis has been playing games with my vet. Basically those that aren't on it already from a dermatologist, don't expect it to come in until at least late May.

Festus' vet was able to get one additional bottle in for him which should last me until the end of May until stock comes in again on a regular basis. Originally the dogs that were put on it from the start of when it was released were supposed to be able to remain on it. This hasn't been the case for the most part. Zoetis shipped the one additional bottle to be a refill for Festus and then the rep wanted it back once they realized that my vet wasn't on the list. My vet stated to them that I had already picked it up from them so too bad so sad. It is unfortunate how the company has been handling the shortage as the drug has literally been a miracle for Festus. The cyclosporine stopped working for him and I was days away from euthanizing him before this med hit the market and he was started on it as it got bad again. Since his first dose he hasn't itched or sucked on himself at all, between his toes aren't red anymore, his eyes and ears are also clearing up on it as well. I am in awe of the improvement that this has made to his quality of life, it is like he is a totally different dog again. His skin tags have also shrunken on his belly and no new small lumps have formed as they were starting to form with the cyclosporine. I am cautiously guarded that they will get the stock in for the end of May or I honestly don't know what I'm going to do, from what the rep has told me and my vet, vets aren't supposed to perscribe the apoquel to new dogs or to dogs that haven't been on the drug yet. It really has been a life changer for Festus.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the response. Sorry the company is being a PITA! I'm so glad the drug is working miracles for Festus!! It's frustrating that the company wasn't more prepared for the huge demand. It would be so hard to start your dog on the medicine & see great results, but not know if you will be able to refill it. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!
                          sigpic Brenda
                          RIP Gibson 9/06 - 8/11
                          Presley 8/96 - 11/06

Comment

Oh Paradise thank gawd you got this drug when you did!
                            Michele
                            Mom to: Angel huskyx (3/15/2001), Lestat labx (12/1/2001), Mystra beaglex (04/01/2005), Merlin airedale (08/01/2012)
                            RIP my loves:
                            Isis (dane) (7/1/2005-11/5/2011), Venus (dane) (9/1/02-06/24/13)

Comment

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
                              Dr Briggs, hopefully this means that my clinic will be able to get the doses in for Festus before he runs out... Did they outline when they expect stock to come back in of it at all?
                              Unfortunately not...
                              As for any update this drug continues to amaze me. It's the 4th major revolution in veterinary pharmaceuticals since my career began 22 years ago.
                              I can't wait to have an owner with a cat ascent to using it off label to see if it will help them. Then I'll try a bird.....
                              Warren Briggs, DVM
                              www.ocvh.com
                              www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

Annnnd a really really HORRIFIC update on the backorder status.

It is on backorder for AT MINIMUM ONE ENTIRE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously Zoetis get your together.... How could you not forecast to have enough stock and run out within 3 weeks of initial release.

Sincerely one very unhappy pet owner who is now at a complete loss on what to do to keep my dog comfortable.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X