Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Dane Poodle Mix (Designer Dog Debate)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Great Dane Poodle Mix (Designer Dog Debate)

To the original poster, the references you put out show what was done for one specific reason, to supply a service dog to a disabled person who had special requirements in the home. I'm glad it worked for that person. I personally could be persuaded that, in that instance, it made sense to do that crossbreeding. That being said, to me, if you want a dane, get a dane, if you want a poodle, get a poodle. If you want a cute mixed puppy, get one. There are plenty that need homes. To me, getting a purebred is a way of at least trying to make an informed decision as to what characteristics and temperment I can reasonably expect my dog to have when grown and what health issues to be aware of, not withstanding poorly bred purebred animals. With mixes, it's potluck which characteristics you get from which breed, you may get what you think you want, you may not. The problem as I see it is that, in general, someone with a good example of a certain breed (health, temperment, type, etc) is very unlikely to use that animal to create a mix, instead it would be used to further the lines of that breed. That then leads to only the substandard examples would be used for this mixed breeding which could result in unwanted problems. Let's face it, most puppies are cute, but I always try to remember that it's the dog I want and will spend the most time with.

Comment

Tropton cockey and cruel being the word thank god dogs dont feel the same as you my danes dobes and my standard poodle all love each other more than i can say for you. sorry but what you just said was just cruel.
      cheryl

Comment

I love Danes, I also happen to love standard poodles. What I don't understand is why labradoodles were supposedly originally bred for the service industry. Any one who knows anything about a st poodle knows that they are a highly intelligent breed, are just as attached to their humans, can be trained to do exactly the same things a lab would do, and are just as big so size is just not an issue here. So, why not just use a st poodle as the service dog? Well you see that would put bybers and millers out of business. I have zero problems with mixed breeds, I love both of my mutts to pieces. What I wouldn't do is pay some dishonest breeder $1000+ to take their mutt off their hands. I went to the shelter and gave a home to 4 needy dogs 2 mutts, 2 purebred danes. I HATE, HATE, HATE people who deliberately try to fool unknowledgable people into paying top dollar for something I went to the pound and got for less than $200. And don't try to tell me that anyone of your doodles is any better than my shelter dogs just because you were silly enough to pay lots of money for it. RANT FINISHED
        Michele
        Mom to: Angel huskyx (3/15/2001), Lestat labx (12/1/2001), Mystra beaglex (04/01/2005), Merlin airedale (08/01/2012)
        RIP my loves:
        Isis (dane) (7/1/2005-11/5/2011), Venus (dane) (9/1/02-06/24/13)

Comment

>Tropton cockey and cruel being the word thank god dogs dont
          >feel the same as you my danes dobes and my standard poodle all
          >love each other more than i can say for you. sorry but what
          >you just said was just cruel.
          >cheryl
          >
          >

I clearly stated that it was my personal opinion. I am having a hard time understanding how that could be perceived as cruel.

Sorry to have offended you.

Comment

Please go to the following page to view your Dane Poodle Mix. They call it the Doodle.

Link removed

Comment

Ok, I dont think there is one of us here who doubts the fact that the op will go and do what they intended to do in the first place, which is to buy one of these mutts. And so the viscious cycle goes on.......its not going to do any good to try to talk sense into them. People like this wont ever learn. I am thinking troll? You dont come to a purebred discussion board and ask a question like this without an alterior (sp?) motive. We should just drop it probably because its falling on deaf ears Im sure. :f
              "The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -- Anonymous

Jocelyn & Layla.....
              in memory of Sargeant Pepper, Gracie, Thea, and our little Buddy dog. Gone but never forgotten.

Comment

The so called "service" dog excuse doesn't make sense or hold water and iMO is nothing more then an excuse to justify breeding mutts..
                1) breeding a shedding dog to non shedding is not going to produce a low shedding dog..that in of itself is stupid
                2) breeding two totally different breeds aren't going to give you the "intelligence" of one breed & the "type" of another..that in of itself is stupid
                3) there are already breeds in palce that are of the size, trainability,hair type, etc to be used for this purpose...ei. Standard Poodles, Irish Water Spaniels, Portugese Water Dogs, Pudel Pointers,Curly Coated Retreivers..to name just a few

There is no good justification for the delibrate breeding of mutts.
                sigpic
                Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                Associate Member GDCNE
                Member GSPCA
                Member NAVHDA
                Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

>>1) breeding a shedding dog to non shedding is not going to produce a low shedding dog..that in of itself is stupid
                  2) breeding two totally different breeds aren't going to give you the "intelligence" of one breed & the "type" of another..that in of itself is stupid<<<

4) you can actually add health problems concerns that either breed is not known for.
                  For example... optic nerve hypoplasia is a pretty common genetic disorder in Poodles. yet not seen reguraly in GD's.. Same would go for hemophilia A (factor VIII deficiency), hemophilia B (factor IX deficiency, Christmas disease) that are problems in poodles yet not in Danes.
                  The list could go on and on....

Sean

Comment

I'm new to the forum, and i generally wouldn't have picked this as my first post but...I just had to say something.

As much as I disagree with all the designer breeders that are just in it for the money, and and as much as I disagree with people buying adorable puppies and then spoiling them/not training them I still find it amazing how...close minded everyone is to this topic!

I have met many many polite, friendly, well-socialized "designer dogs" and I don't think it's right to say that they are all dumb or untrainable. A better statement might be to say that their owners didnt take the time to correctly train them. It is very true to say that the dog is only as good as it's owners.

Also, there were four new breeds added to the AKC this year. Breeds that, until now, would have been grouped in with your "designer dogs". I'd like to point out that all breeds came from somewhere, usually dedicated people who took the time to find two breeds that had characteristics that they liked and bred them carefully together. Admittedly this is generally not the case with designer dogs, but there is a labradoodle club in the US now pushing to get them recognized by the AKC.

I do very strongly agree that bybs are not in it for these reasons, and that in general if you are going to breed you should have a reason and an appropriate dog. But...I feel the things that were said were a bit harsh.

...Sorry about the rant.

jakhi
                    No danes yet, just cats.
                    Visit my blog on what I've been reading and how to have well-mannered kitties at www.assortedbooking.blog.com

Comment

Ok, well on that note, tell me how many "reputable" breeders cross breed? Quite frankly, it takes a byb to cross breed a dog to begin with to make these designer dogs aka mutts. Regardless of what anyone tries to sell you, they are mutts. Plain and simple. No, I dont think they are dumb or untrainable, and agree that it is up to the owner. I just lost my mutt 6 8 months ago and there was nothing dumb about him. Even the best bred pure bred cant learn if he isnt trained properly. I just dont agree that designer dogs are ok.
                      "The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -- Anonymous

Jocelyn & Layla.....
                      in memory of Sargeant Pepper, Gracie, Thea, and our little Buddy dog. Gone but never forgotten.

Comment

>Also, there were four new breeds added to the AKC this year.
                        >Breeds that, until now, would have been grouped in with your
                        >"designer dogs".

Ummm... NO! You won't see the AKC or any other good registry adding random-bred mutts as a 'breed'. New breeds that AKC accepts have specifically been developed for decades, and often, have been accepted by other reputable registries (such as the FCI).

> I'd like to point out that all breeds came
                        >from somewhere, usually dedicated people who took the time to
                        >find two breeds that had characteristics that they liked and
                        >bred them carefully together. Admittedly this is generally not
                        >the case with designer dogs, but there is a labradoodle club
                        >in the US now pushing to get them recognized by the AKC.

Just because something can be done does not mean that it should be done. Mixing random dogs is not the same as creating a breed. For the most part, the type of work that went into the creation of the breeds that exist today (IOW, take dog A and dog B, create progeny, cull the ones that don't meet your requirements, refine characters with further breeding, and keep in mind that this has to start with a very large genetic pool) cannot be realistically done.

My personal experience with these designer mutts has been that it has run the gamut. There is no type, either physically or temperamentally. I've known poodle mixes that do not shed at all, and others that do shed, but the coats are a nightmare to brush out and keep from getting matted. Some of the dogs have been lovely, temperamentally speaking, but the majority have been hinky in some way. A good number also seemed to have significant health problems.

Suja

Comment

Its a HUGE mistake to conclude that a dislike is simply closed minded instead of experienced.

As Suja posted above, the new breeds accepted to the AKC have not been simply invented but in the case of many new breeds have been purebred dogs for CENTURIES in their countries of of origin.

To be clear, the FCI is only a regulatng body that validates a countries pedigree legitimacy practices, and not a registration in and of itsslf. (Romania lost its FCI endorsement for several years and regained it after changes in record keeping were made).

And the AKC recently started the FSS to circumvent having to aknowlege registries such as the UKC when accepting other breeds (making sure only dogs from the AKC approved parent club are used for reasons that are purely monetary).

The AKC approval of coated Xoloitcuintle into the Miscellaneous class so the breeders can still register ($) those pups is one such example. No other registry on this planet accepts coated Xolos. MOST breeders in the US didn't either but the group that the AKC chose as the parent club chose to. Its unlikely that's a coincidence.

No one here is a breed snob. The point is that purebred dogs have been purposefully developed for a REASON. Finding the right dog for the life you have is hard enough (read the posts here about people who are shocked when a maturing Dane [mastiff origins] suddenly becomes picky about who can walk in and out of the yard).

People who are intentionally breeding mixes lack respect for each breeds original purpose and talents, and pander to people who even IF they are hoping for the best of two breeds usually get burned for the reasons I posted waaay above.

So welcome to the board. Read and read. This board is atypical because it doesn't BS about serious problems with Danes. Little things like submissive urination, pulling on the leash to get at another dog and "snappiness" which can be lived around in a 50 pound dog are often a death sentence in 150 pound Danes. So people here take Danes VERY seriously.

Randa
                          Randa

Comment

>>>As Suja posted above, the new breeds accepted to the AKC have
                            not been simply invented but in the case of many new breeds
                            have been purebred dogs for CENTURIES in their countries of of
                            origin.<<<

Exactly...

The Beauceron has been around since the 1500's, the Tibetan Mastiff's the 1700's, Plotts have also been around since the 1700's, the Swedish Vallhund has been around 1000 years or so... so really if these designer mutts want to gather recognition by anything other than a BS registry they have many many many years to go...

I believe the Dogue de Bordeaux will be the next recognized breed and it has been around since the 1800's

Sean

Comment

Since most recognized breeds are 100's-1000's of years old their histories are unclear and left to speculation by many.

However, there are some newer breeds like the Doberman Pincher and Bull Terrier who's history is well known... Study books on Louis Dobermann or James Hinks and you will see that it takes more than just throwning two dogs together to get the genotype and more importantly phenotype that your after....

>>>but there is a labradoodle club in the US now pushing to get them recognized by the AKC.<<<

That will never happen in our life times...
                              Sean

Comment

I would never go out and "buy" a designer dog, Ever. But I do own two Mix, Desugner breed, And I love my boys dearly. But Never in my life would I have gone out and paid good money for them. Both my Boys where given to me by a friend whos Dane Bitch Breed with a Bull Masstiff. While I love my boys, I want to beat the crap out of people who breed mix's for a living and try to pass it off as something else. My "Daniff's" are great boys and I find it funny how people could come up with a name for the mix breedings. I see it every day at work. People bring in litters of unwanted designer puppies that never sold. And the sad thing is, In another 6-8months I will see the same people come in with more unwanted pups. Dare you offer then advice on spaying... They will go on a rant how they are trying ti improve one breed with the other. Yea. Big improvment.Dog Pound puppies is all they are breeding.

Comment

Working...
                                X