New tradition -- dogless!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tradition -- dogless!

Tonight we are starting a new tradition at the Eilers' Zoo -- the dogs will sleep on the floor at night, not the bed. After a day of horrid behavior from them, it will (hopefully, but I doubt it) be easy to look past those soulful eyes, and adorable snuggles.

It all began:
    1. Last night I slept like a pretzel (so the dogs would be comfortable) and woke with a terrible back ache, after being kicked more than usual.
    2. Dexter broke into the pantry 3 times WHILE I WAS WATCHING, to help himself to his food! (after he was fed!!!)
    3. Kaya stole a block of cheese off the counter.
    4. Scout (while Kaya was distracting me with the block of cheese) ate my pasta dinner.
    5. They ALL conspired to de-nest a pile of baby bunnies sending me on a trip to the vet with the baby bunnies!

I am disheartened, but they have mattresses, couches, and a futon, not to mention each other to snuggle with. My hubby and I will get to spend the night in the same bed for the first time in months!!!

Cheers to a restful night!
    sigpic
    Jen,
    Mom to:
    Dexter (Dane 2 yrs)
    Scout (Dane 7 yrs) Horatio (Dane 7 yrs) Ming (Chow 14 yrs) Obi Wan (Pit 3 yrs) Kaya (Pit 3 yrs) . . .and wife to Matt!
    Waiting at the Bridge:
    Timberlynd, Duke, Goliath, & Porsche(3/15/11)

lol

good luck, there was a New Years resolution in our house, it was called "4 on the floor" I think it lasted maybe 3 days..

Comment

good for you! I need my sleep, I need my husband and I to have time together, and I need a hair free room! LOL so we have always been dogless in bed and I wouldn't have it any other way. I hope you sleep well tonight.
      Meg
      AeroDanes

Comment

Sleeping without danes? What is this nonsense? Does not compute!
        Katie & Scarlett
        sigpic

Comment

I love my animals dearly, but we had to kick them all out of the bed years ago. Both our our allergies were acting up and we were not getting any sleep. I snuggle and cuddle with them on the couch, they aer allowed on the kids beds for storytime etc (ivy sometimes sleeps with my daughter too) but not my bed. I just got the kids out and am enjoying some SPACE!

Comment

Originally posted by Dexterdane View Post
            those soulful eyes, and adorable snuggles.
            pffffft, you'll cave!
            [SIGPIC]

Comment

I know we are both going to go through withdrawal!!!!

I have a question for you long time dog experts ----

We have the 3 danes and two pits (our chow never goes on the bed)-- what would be the damage if we allowed the pits on the bed, but not the danes? Does anyone else let some dogs on the bed but not others? I am thinking all or none, but the pits are already second to the danes due to the dynamics of the household. Our male pit has serious leg/hip issues (hip dysplasia, deg. joint disease, luxating patella) and our new female is still trying to find her place in the pack. All the boys have put her in her place when she does something they don't like. She is sweet and still trying to realize this is her forever home.

I am not going to allow any dogs on the bed tonight, but wanted to know everyone's opinion. . .
              sigpic
              Jen,
              Mom to:
              Dexter (Dane 2 yrs)
              Scout (Dane 7 yrs) Horatio (Dane 7 yrs) Ming (Chow 14 yrs) Obi Wan (Pit 3 yrs) Kaya (Pit 3 yrs) . . .and wife to Matt!
              Waiting at the Bridge:

Comment

Good luck! LOL
                My Blog: My Fur-Real Life

sigpic

*Jennifer*
                Wife to John, Mom to McKayla and Chris
                Owned by Katie and Rio

Comment

I will rotate dogs, allow all, or allow none. I can do this because the dogs have been taught to obey the "Up" and "Off" commands. These furniture rules allow me to share my bed or couch with who ever I want when ever I want. The dogs have no issue with the rules. If it is not their turn they just go find a pillow bed to lay on.

However - in your situation, a sudden changing of the rules should apply to all or none. Those new rules should then be upheld for a month or more till they all learn the bed is a privilege and not a right. Then you can start working on permission only training for the bed.
                  sigpic
                  "Show me your dog, and I will tell you what manner of man you are."
                  ~Capt. Max von Stephanitz
                  Anubis CGC (RIP) , Cheza CGC, Schwarz Frost von Lichtefeld CGCA THD TDIA, Steele Gunner Goatsbane CGCA, and Professional House Dog Oliver.

Comment

We made it through the night! The dogs did great, no crying or whining. Unfortunately, I woke up many times (probably because I had TOO much room to move around!) Good news is no back ache this morning! No more pretzel-sleeping!

We barricaded the bottom of the bed so the dogs couldn't sneak up. The worst part was that every time I woke up Scout was looking over the end of the bed at us. . .so sad! He only tried to climb over the end once, but he listened to the "off" command he had been taught and got right down.

I miss sleeping with the dogs, but this is the right thing to do! 3xdanemom, you are right. . ."However - in your situation, a sudden changing of the rules should apply to all or none." Thanks for confirming my thoughts and helping me stick to it!!!
                    sigpic
                    Jen,
                    Mom to:
                    Dexter (Dane 2 yrs)
                    Waiting at the Bridge:

Comment

We're sizest at our house. The 9 lb dog sleeps on the bed (on my side), but the 130 lb dog does NOT. When the Army sends hubby away I often have Leo sleep with me and Val, but he always choosesto get up an hour or two later and goes to sleep on his bed or the couch. Leo is also often inviited on the bed for a cuddle when we are reading at night or sleeping in on the weekend mornings, but when it's time to sleep it's "Leo, off," and off he goes.
                      Misty, Leonidas (Dane), and Valor (Pomeranian Mix)
                      Current 52 Photo Project:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu8ALZ

Comment

Jen, I can't believe you did it!!!! LOL. I can TOTALLY picture Scout looking at you with those pathetic eyes of his! I think it will be good in the long run, and I agree that right now, it should be none of the dogs. You don't want to create jealousy in your pack, and you are still all adjusting to Kaya.

Last night, for the first time since Ayla came with us, we let her into the bedroom to watch TV with us. Carlie guarded the bed, and I wanted to establish leadership with Ayla before she was allowed in there, and to have her house trained, lol. It was nice having all three dogs with us. Dave and Reilly laid on the floor together. Reilly will not lay on the bed with another dog. Tori was on her Kuranda dog bed, so Ayla and I were on the bed. She calmed down quickly. At bedtime, though, they get evicted from the room.

Stay strong, Jen, stay strong!!
                        Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
                        Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
                        RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X