Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bored Great Dane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bored Great Dane

    Does anyone have any ideas for keeping your dane entertained in the crate? Emma is crated while we are at work, and even though my hisband goes home at lunch to let her out, she must get really bored. That is when she destroys her blankets, beds, etc.....

    Yesterday we came home and found she had completely chewed her brand new harness off her body (the Surgeon recommended we use one during her recovery). (see pic)

    I have seen some post about filling Kongs with peanut butter to entertain them, but I fear when the peanut butter is all gone out of the Kong that she will tear it apart and eat it or choke on it trying to do so!! The only she will not destroy that goes in her crate everyday is her "Binky", a pink dragon that she loves and has had since being a little pup!

    When out of the crate she doen't mess with anything that is not hers or a dog toy......just in the crate....so I am assuming it is boredom....

    Thank you for any suggestions!

    sigpicStephanie Folker

    Mom to:
    Bonnie - female, pitbull/great dane mix -4 yrs.
    Clyde - male, pitbull - 3 yrs.
    Emma - female, great dane - 19 months

  • #2
    Try a beef knuckle bone. It's the only bone (or anything for that matter) that keeps them busy for an hour straight, and lasts much longer than that. Unlike long bones they don't tend to splinter, they gnaw on them, so there is less of a chocking hazard with them. I always have them around, and put them up for special occasions. Lucas is the only dog crated and he gets his in his crate to keep him occupied. Although he primarily rests in the crate.
    sigpic
    1 husband * 1 teenager * 2 great danes * 2 boxers * 1 cats * 2 African cichlids * 34 land hermit crabs
    RIP Tyler RIP Smokey
    http://thegratedanegane.wordpress.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Get the thicker black Kong, they're heavy duty. Fill with stuff and freeze so it takes longer to clean them out. There are lots of recipes for Kong stuffing on here, try using the search function. I know there was a good thread about it a few months ago.

      ETA - found one of the threads I was thinking of: http://www.dolforum.com/forum/showth...=kong+stuffing
      Last edited by jrturk; 04-02-2013, 12:01 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'll be the group meanie and state that I don't let Rufus have anything in the crate. Once he started destroying what I would put in with him, I simply cleaned it out and let do without. He has done no damage to the crate, and I'm not throwing money in the trash over his form of entertainment.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Tylerthegiant View Post
          Try a beef knuckle bone. It's the only bone (or anything for that matter) that keeps them busy for an hour straight, and lasts much longer than that. Unlike long bones they don't tend to splinter, they gnaw on them, so there is less of a chocking hazard with them. I always have them around, and put them up for special occasions. Lucas is the only dog crated and he gets his in his crate to keep him occupied. Although he primarily rests in the crate.
          They love knuckle bones but I only give them under supervision. Hamish choked on the knuckle of a bone and had to have surgery to have it removed.
          sigpic
          Hamish: Great Dane born July 25 2011
          Sophie: English Mastiff born May 30 2009
          Visit my blog at http://gonetothebigdogs.wordpress.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            I used to put a marrow bone in the crate with my Pit and then a dog at work got one stuck behind his bottom canines and had to be sedated to remove it. I'm terrified to give them now, when I'm not home. I do still give beef rib bones.
            ~ Lisa
            If you are a lurker on this site for more than a day you should have already read the links on the sidebar about how to buy a purebred puppy. If you still buy from a byb please expect to get "schooled" on why that is a horrible decision and how you have contributed to the destruction of the breed we all love so much.

            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Anna N' Hamish View Post
              They love knuckle bones but I only give them under supervision. Hamish choked on the knuckle of a bone and had to have surgery to have it removed.
              Wow that's terrible. Glad Hamish is okay. Thanks for telling me.
              sigpic
              1 husband * 1 teenager * 2 great danes * 2 boxers * 1 cats * 2 African cichlids * 34 land hermit crabs
              RIP Tyler RIP Smokey
              http://thegratedanegane.wordpress.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tylerthegiant View Post
                Wow that's terrible. Glad Hamish is okay. Thanks for telling me.
                He's fine now (he is also a HUGE wuss when he's sick) My guys don't get knuckle bones anymore, my bank account can't take it!
                sigpic
                Hamish: Great Dane born July 25 2011
                Sophie: English Mastiff born May 30 2009
                Visit my blog at http://gonetothebigdogs.wordpress.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  We started giving Stella those big oversized, Kong tennis ball things. She puts it in her mouth and sort of just chews on it through the day in her crate. We also are HUGE supporters of Tuffies, like the ones below. These are Stella's and after I bought the first one, we went back and bought 3 others. These are NOT CHEAP...however, she has yet to destuff one. These toys are PERFECT plush toys for a great dane. I'm not saying it's impossible for a dane to destuff them, but I am telling you these are big, tough, sturdy toys. We have a total of 4 and adore them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Slobber Tales View Post
                    We started giving Stella those big oversized, Kong tennis ball things. She puts it in her mouth and sort of just chews on it through the day in her crate. We also are HUGE supporters of Tuffies, like the ones below. These are Stella's and after I bought the first one, we went back and bought 3 others. These are NOT CHEAP...however, she has yet to destuff one. These toys are PERFECT plush toys for a great dane. I'm not saying it's impossible for a dane to destuff them, but I am telling you these are big, tough, sturdy toys. We have a total of 4 and adore them.

                    Can these be purchased at a Petsmart or Petco? Or are they from somewhere else?
                    sigpicStephanie Folker

                    Mom to:
                    Bonnie - female, pitbull/great dane mix -4 yrs.
                    Clyde - male, pitbull - 3 yrs.
                    Emma - female, great dane - 19 months

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Slobber Tales View Post
                      We started giving Stella those big oversized, Kong tennis ball things. She puts it in her mouth and sort of just chews on it through the day in her crate. We also are HUGE supporters of Tuffies, like the ones below. These are Stella's and after I bought the first one, we went back and bought 3 others. These are NOT CHEAP...however, she has yet to destuff one. These toys are PERFECT plush toys for a great dane. I'm not saying it's impossible for a dane to destuff them, but I am telling you these are big, tough, sturdy toys. We have a total of 4 and adore them.
                      We had good luck with the Tuffies at first too. But after many months Lola figured out how to de-stuff them and killed all of hers. They definitely lasted a lot longer than most stuffies though.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This is the pink dragon "Binky" that I mentioned earlier. The only toy that is still completely intact!! Emma treats it almost the same a child's security blanket or something!! She will just tote it around and sleep with it, Bonnie and Clyde won't touch it....another thing I thought weird.

                        "Binky" has held up nicely.... but I feel sorry for other toys and harnesses!! LOL!

                        sigpicStephanie Folker

                        Mom to:
                        Bonnie - female, pitbull/great dane mix -4 yrs.
                        Clyde - male, pitbull - 3 yrs.
                        Emma - female, great dane - 19 months

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by StephanieFolker View Post
                          Can these be purchased at a Petsmart or Petco? Or are they from somewhere else?
                          I got 2 of mine from a boutique dog shop, Steph-- but I also bought two of them from Amazon.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just for further proof of just how bored Emma is in her crate.....this is what my husband just sent to me. It is her brand new $50 soft crate pad!!! How can she do so much damage!!! As you can see though the pink "Binky" is still intact!! LOL!


                            sigpicStephanie Folker

                            Mom to:
                            Bonnie - female, pitbull/great dane mix -4 yrs.
                            Clyde - male, pitbull - 3 yrs.
                            Emma - female, great dane - 19 months

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X