This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foster care for Military Families

I remember a post a while back about someone joining the military and looking for a home to foster their pup til they were back and able to take care of it. Today I ran across some great links for military families and soldier if they are going to war and need someone to care for pets while away.

Here's the info for anyone that needs it! pass it along!!

When soldiers deploy they often have to leave behind their beloved furry friends. It can be stressful worrying about a pet’s care during a year long deployment. Sometimes soldiers can rely on family members to care for their pet, but that is not always the case especially for single soldiers who live far from family members.
    To alleviate concerns for a pet’s care, there are volunteer organizations that can help! These organizations match foster families with pets. Furry friends are well cared for during a soldier’s deployed and there is always a happy reunion when they return!
    If you are interested in fostering a pet for a deployed soldier, you can also contact these organizations to be matched with a pet in need of care.
    Contact the individual organization to find out more information.

Great info...this should be a sticky.
    sigpic
    www.rescuemetugz.com

Michele, Roscoe, Ava, Romeo, (RIP Daphne)
    http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=732e92418610139ae96918&skin_id=701&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url
    Be part of the solution by not being part of the problem. NO BYB's!!

Comment

Free on-line classified for a foster for military pets

This site offers a free classified listing for foster of military pets. I would recommend using it if you can do a home visit and background investigation of the offering foster person(s), or to let others know you are listed with an organization listed in the post above that does home visits so you can put them in contact with the organization. The listing is free for one month.
      http://www.alphataxservices.com/mili...fostercare.asp

Newt
      "Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Comment

Good to know this exists! I was wondering about deployments, and what ifs, so it is good to know that someone will take care of my baby if I have to go and me and my fiance don't make it ( we discussed everything including this before picking her up but we're hoping that doesn't happen!)
        sigpic
        My Little Family!

Comment

Originally posted by Bstephe2 View Post
          Good to know this exists! I was wondering about deployments, and what ifs, so it is good to know that someone will take care of my baby if I have to go and me and my fiance don't make it ( we discussed everything including this before picking her up but we're hoping that doesn't happen!)
          If that happens you just PM me, and your baby can hang with my family of 4 active kids and one Dane, here on our wooded land. I will care for her as if she were one of my own, until you return. God Bless you, and all the military personnel who serve our great country!
          Last edited by intensgrl; 07-24-2010, 11:18 PM.

~Reich (CGC) 12/21/09 - 1/26/12~
          ~Behr 4/22/11 - 3/28/14~

~Buhl 2/09/10~
          <3 My heart breaks for my lost Dane babies <3

Comment

Thanks! I am SUPER paranoid that something is gonna happen to her (bloat, etc.) and my hubby to be isn't gonna see it in time and I'm gonna lose her while I'm gone. Talk about someone who would go on a spree, is trained and issued a weapon? Oh lord, the terrorists would have NO CHANCE lol I'd finish the war myself in one day...have you seen that movie 'Man on Fire'? lol
            sigpic
            My Little Family!

Comment

new to DOL, have question (I am Active Duty)

Hello Kind People:
              I am just so happy to have found this forum.
              I recently redeployed from Iraq.
              I had been feeling down and the opportunity to adopt an abused Dane pup came about. She is ~ 4 months old. She certainly has my heart! She has made such progress....She is totally housebroken but she continues to have an affinity towards my fuzzy pink slippers....but that is another story
              Just (yesterday) found out that my apartment complex changed their rules regarding having K9 pets....And no one informed me of this change....So I may have to give up my wee one....I have been extremely sad (yeah, I admit I cried as well) I don't know what to do.
              My home of record is in NYC {I am presently stationed in El Paso}
              Does anyone have any suggestions? I am awaiting the apartment complex board to rule. I have my fingers crossed that they will make an exception.....I am so nervous.
              Thank you for making this forum available.
              athena

Comment

Fight them. Either demand to be grandfathered in since you already had the dog before they changed the rules, or demand to be let out of your lease without penalty and move somewhere else.
                - Missy

Tristan, born 3/23/10
                sigpic

Comment

Hi Athena,

Have you heard anything? There are often agencies that list pet friendly housing and list others that help with issues. I did some searching and couldn't find any links through El Paso Animal Control. I found some other links/info that might be helpful.

The Humane Society of El Paso was the first place I looked. I didn't find any info there for pet friendly housing or issues, but they do have a link for ' Local Resources' that has some orgs. listed that might be helpful. The second link is for 'Sponsors and Links' where you might find some helpful orgs.
                  http://www.humanesocietyelpaso.org/a...nizations.sstg
                  http://www.humanesocietyelpaso.org/sponsors.sstg

El Paso City Manager - scroll down here as she might have the answer if what the apartment complex is doing can effect you since you already have a lease.
                  http://www.ci.el-paso.tx.us/departments.asp

City of El Paso Animal Services - didn't find anything here pertaining to your situation, but feel free to have a look around.
                  http://www.ci.el-paso.tx.us/commdev/animal4.asp

City-Data forum for El Paso - you can search with terms such as pets or lease help, etc.without joining. You will have to join to ask questions.
                  http://www.city-data.com/forum/el-paso/

You can do a google search for pet friendly housing in El Paso.

This organization is in Florida. They are a group of attys that help Floridians with similar issues. If you contact them they may know of such a group or organization where you are.
                  http://www.petsincondos.org/

Please update us on what is happening and best of luck!
                  Newt
                  "Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by athena55 View Post
                    Hello Kind People:
                    I am just so happy to have found this forum.
                    I recently redeployed from Iraq.
                    I had been feeling down and the opportunity to adopt an abused Dane pup came about. She is ~ 4 months old. She certainly has my heart! She has made such progress....She is totally housebroken but she continues to have an affinity towards my fuzzy pink slippers....but that is another story
                    Just (yesterday) found out that my apartment complex changed their rules regarding having K9 pets....And no one informed me of this change....So I may have to give up my wee one....I have been extremely sad (yeah, I admit I cried as well) I don't know what to do.
                    My home of record is in NYC {I am presently stationed in El Paso}
                    Does anyone have any suggestions? I am awaiting the apartment complex board to rule. I have my fingers crossed that they will make an exception.....I am so nervous.
                    Thank you for making this forum available.
                    athena
                    I agree with other post.. FIGHT IT!!! We are military and in base housing.. and there was no pet restrictions.. and they decided to put some into effect.. so everyone whom has Pitts, rots, dobies, wolf breed all got grandfathered in if they filled out the appropriate paperwork. You already have the dog.. and NOW they change their rules.. they are breaching contract.. you should be aloud to keep the dog or move.. without penalty
                    Nicole

Comment

Another great organization to help deploying military is www.dogsondeployment.org They help find foster homes for your pets while you deploy or temporarily while you are pcsing. They have also been known to help find new forever homes for your pets if no other solution can be found, and help with transports and occasionally funding in emergency cases. This great organization is run by a military couple, both active duty Marines so no one understands the hardships of deployments better than they do! They help place all types of pets, not just dogs (the organization president has his bird boarded while he has monthly training), I've seen dogs, cats, birds, reptiles and a few small& furry ones to.

Please check out their website www.dogsondeployment.org to learn more and to also sign up to become a boarder if you wish to help and definitely sign up asap if you are going to deploy. I can't say enough great things about these guys. In The future when I have more room I am going to sign up to be a boarder, I know how hard it was when I left a trusted friends with my pet only to find out they almost immediately gave it away and I want to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else.
                      sigpic
                      Shannon momma to:
                      Peanut Great Dane born 12/10/10
                      Tuffy(6/5/05), Simon(7/2108) & Joey(8/10/08) Rescue kitties
                      Juice Yellow Footed Tortoise

Comment

Is this something I can share when I see a military family in need? We are military as well, and I'd like to help them with options is possible..
                        sigpic
                        Zeke @ 9 Months

Comment

Also Dogs on Deployment is a very reputable group.

Comment

Working...
                          X