Best Neutering Age

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Neutering Age

I know it's been asked a hundred million times, a hundred different ways, but honestly, what are your opinions about the very best time to neuter a Great Dane. All things considered, all the positives and negatives included, what age do you think is best?? I really would like to know your opinions, no matter how much they vary from one another. Thank you sooooo much!!
    sigpicDenika, mommy to Jamie-a two-legger, Yankee, Liberty, Justice, Sparky, (foster failure)
    We are on Facebook!!
    www.facebook.com/denikagoblemenis

Best age IMO for a girl is 8 to 9 months it's normally before her first heat cycle and after alot of growth, you reduce chance of mammary cancer, heat mess, and pregnancy. You have reduced risk of odd ball growth and you can plexi at this time if you wish
    A male I got to say after 9 months to as late as possible, if he shows any sort of hormone based bad behavior neuter at once. I would try and hold off neutering until a dog is 14 months or longer. Most will start to get stud like and it's best to neuter a male around 1 year.

Comment

We waited untill 14mos. for Harls. He was just starting to get a little "humpy". There is a general theory that males neutered too early will "bitch up". Meaning they tend to look more feminine and never broaden and muscle-up. No clue if there is any science behind that, and I've heard anecdotal evidence for both sides of the argument. I know there are health benefits to an early spay, but from what I've read the neutering benefits all seem to be behavioral.
      Well, there's my two cents. Good luck!

Comment

Provided there were no behavioral issues or risk of pregnancy to warrant earlier alteration I have always preferred to wait till just after a year before altering... To give the dog/bitch enough time to physically "mature" and get as much from the "sex" hormones as possible....
        Teresa n
        sigpic

Comment

Osteosarcoma

After Hero was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma and had to be put down shortly after (6yrs old) I began reading about potential contributing factors. I dont remember where I found this but it said that if a giant breed male dog was neutered before 1 year, he had a 50% higher chance of getting Osteosarcoma. Hero was neutered at 6m. I would wait as long as possible, but not too far after he started showing hormonal behavior. Keleen
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Herohadi...n?feature=mhsn
          sigpic

Comment

<<I dont remember where I found this but it said that if a giant breed male dog was neutered before 1 year, he had a 50% higher chance of getting Osteosarcoma. Hero was neutered at 6m. I would wait as long as possible, but not too far after he started showing hormonal behavior.>>

50% higher?
            Id like to read that article and see where the author got his facts. What about the predisposition of genetics or is that not taken into consideration?

How about trauma to the bone, nutrition, environment and as I mentioned genetics? None of this is responsible for osteosarcoma but neutering prior to 1yr is?

The high majority of my males sold as pets are neutered prior to 1yr old and I can *in no uncertain terms* tell you that Ive had very few die from osteosarcoma. In fact a very, very small percentage die from that...so if I compare that to the 50% higher average, I would suspect I would be seeing more of my males being diagnosed with this disease.
            Yes, I understand that this is only my breeding program, but I know of plenty of "show" dogs that are left intact well into adulthood who come down with Osteosarcoma.
            IMO, this is WAY more related to genetics (and the breed itself....being a giant, fast growing breed) then it is to neutering!

A buyer needs to get the facts (more then just one article) and one that actually has a scienctific study taking in all of the possible reasons for this cancer. Than weigh out the risks of a male actually getting osteosarcoma compared to the high risk of intact behavior issues that come with keeping the dog intact.
            So what fun is owning a male that lives to 9yrs old (assuming they have NO other helath issue that takes their life earlier) but you cant fully enjoy all aspects of dog ownership with him because of the hormonal problems that arose from keeping him intact into adulthood?

Know all the risks to both sides and the chances of those risks materializing (yep hindsight is 20/20 in this case) is what is needed in making these types of decisions.

Of course if you have a dog die from Osteosarcoma, blaming it on the neutering is a natural reaction, but one needs to know the dogs pedigree to know if there was other factors that increased his risk.
            Carolyn
            Divine Acres Great Danes
            Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
            sigpic

Comment

Any male I have ever owned has always been neutered around 10 months of age. We have never had any hormonal problems by neutering at this age. Any health issues that came up later in their lives were never attributed to neutering them at an early age. Thats my $0.02!

Edit (Forgot to add): The males I owned always appeared to reach their genetically programmed height/weight as well and have never looked "bitchy" to me by neutering them before a year of age.
              Last edited by THCdanes; 09-24-2011, 03:27 PM.
              [SIGPIC]sigpic
              Vanessa

Bree - 5 yr old Mantle Female (Rescued, Spayed)
              Brodee - 12 Month old Fawn Male
              "Divine Acres Time Well Spent"

Comment

Neuter &amp; Plexy at 8 months....

I'm new to the forum and to puppy hood of a Great Dane. My husband and I have been researching, asking questions & talking with other Dane owners even before we got Shadow about neutering age and getting the plexy surgery.

I had a scare 2 months ago with possible bloat....I also went out of my mind with worry until the vet. reassured me he was fine....just gas. LOL....I am a worrier. So we are sure we are getitng the gastroplexy.

But I suppose my real concern is neutering him at 8 moths and not waiting until he is a year old.....everyone I have talked to tells me it will be fine. But there is always the worry that I'm doing it too young. Oh the joys of a first time Great Dane puppy owner!
                He is scheduled the go in on the 2nd Monday of November.

Any thoughts or reassurance would be appreciated. haha.
                Thanks everyone.
                K.

Comment

Originally posted by rizziegirl View Post
                  ... So we are sure we are getitng the gastroplexy...But I suppose my real concern is neutering him at 8 moths and not waiting until he is a year old.....everyone I have talked to tells me it will be fine. ....Any thoughts or reassurance would be appreciated. haha.
                  Thanks everyone.
                  K.
                  Good choices. Neuter him now, have the gastropexy (no 'l') and I'm confident that he will be fine How's that for reassurance?
                  WB
                  Warren Briggs, DVM
                  www.ocvh.com
                  www.youtube.com/ocvhdocs

Comment

We neutered at 12m, as per recommendations it was better for their joints. I wish we did it sooner around 8 months.
                    sigpic
                    Oliver- Cheviots "The Main Event"
                    Addison- Cheviots "Pretty In Pink"

Comment

Hmmm, very interesting read, my vet recommend 18 months to 2 years for my little girl. ??????
                      sigpic

Comment

and have her go thru 2 heat cycles? What is your vets reasoning for waiting so long on a bitch?
                        that substantially increases her risk for mammory cancers, accidental pregancy, hormonal induced temperament change and a host of other not so good changes.
                        Carolyn
                        Divine Acres Great Danes
                        sigpic

Comment

He said there were some new studies on saying before they are fully grown and bone cancer (I think, it was some cancer that was quite prevalent). He said he was recommending to wait to his patients that belonged to responsible owners that would have little risk of accidental pregnancy.

Now I'm confused! And maybe need a new vet?
                          sigpic

Comment

Osteosarcoma is common in Danes.........IMO because they are a giant (fast growing) breed and predisposed by genetics. If you bought from a reputable breeder ask them their lines history in danes from their program being diagnosed with Osteosarcoma?
                            Lymphoma and hemangiosarcoma is also prevelant in Danes. Those are the 3 cancers most often seen in Danes.
                            Osteosarcoma is in Danes of all ages (but mostly seen in Danes over 5yrs old) and in Danes that were altered early and altered late in life. In fact, my very good friend with a yet intact Giant Mal was recently diagnosed with Osteo.

I really think one needs to look at ALL the risks when making such a decision.
                            Carolyn
                            Divine Acres Great Danes
                            sigpic

Comment

My vet made it seem like there were no risks to waiting I'm going to find another vet I think.

Now maybe the difference is that she's only half dane? Other half pyraneese.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X